Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Wednesday Words



Here are some words that are inspiring me:

"The way frugal living is explained in the mainstream media often leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. It’s as if being frugal is something people have to do, because of the economy. It couldn’t possibly be something people want to do. Or could it? I think you know my answer.

So What is Being Frugal?

According to Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, the definition of “frugal” is: characterized by or reflecting economy in the use of resources

And while we’re at it, the second definition of “economy” is: thrifty and efficient use of material resources : frugality in expenditures.

So, basically frugality is the thrifty and efficient use of resources, and a frugal person is a person characterized by thrifty and efficient use of resources."

Lynnae McCoy, Back to Basics: What is Frugality

McCoy goes on to say she wants to honor God by using her resources wisely. That's exactly what I want! The Parable of the Talents from Matthew 25:14-28 has been on my mind lately. I want to be more responsible. I want to take care of all I own and all of my commitments. I want to honor God with everything--my money, all that I own, and even my debt. I am either going to honor or dishonor God with the way that I handle my money. I may not have handled my money in the right way in the past but what I do now matters. I am motivated to take my burdens, desires and challenges to God in prayer. I can honor God by doing that. I can honor him by making frugal choices with my money and what I already own. I can honor him by being efficient with my resources.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! It's all about honoring God!

Anonymous said...

you have much wisdom for such a young woman....thanks for sharing...patti b.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that you never have too much to be frugal. It's just a smart way of living.

He & Me + 3 said...

I am being more frugal this year too. I want to honor God in every area too and that means my spending for sure.

momstheword said...

Amen, sister! We want to be good stewards of our money. We want to make good choices and build for our future.

I love Lynnae's blog. I love reading posts like yours because they keep me motivated and on the path in our frugality.

Beth E. said...

I totally agree! We are very careful with our spending.

suzannah | the smitten word said...

this is a wonderful post. amen!