Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Random Allergy Happenings

I thought I would share with you some "Allergy Happenings" at our house. These are all very random but it has been a while since I have documented anything about my son's allergy.

My 2nd son has a life-threatening allergy to peanuts.

Lately, my 3rd son plays a lot of games where his guys have peanuts so my 2nd son's guys can't do something. The humorous part is that my peanut allergic (PA) son plays right along. They handle it well so I don't interrupt.

Not too long ago, we were out and someone came and asked my husband this question, "Your son is eating a cookie. Is it okay?" My husband (I wasn't present when this happened) said, "Well, we will know pretty quickly if it isn't."
[This stuff is just simply scary.] Turns out, my PA son didn't know if it was safe so he just saved it. [What a wow moment!]

My PA son was invited to a birthday party this past weekend and my friend went out of her way to make sure that the party was safe for him. She had ham and cheese with crackers for lunch and made cupcakes for the kids. This is the same friend that tied the pantry doors shut on New Year's Eve when all the kids were at her house being watched by a babysitter. I have to say, friends like that melt my heart.

My niece was recently diagnosed with a peanut allergy. This was surprising to me. I am excited about the way that we will be able to support each other as our kids grow. I continue to think about how researchers say that food allergies often run in families. Before this, I was only aware of my grandfather having a shell fish (or is it shrimp?) allergy.

Recent Discovery - I have been cutting grocery costs left and right, trying out generic brands and using coupons. I am sticking with Lipton onion soup mix. The Wal-mart onion soup mix has a peanut warning.

We are gearing up to start talking to my son's future school. He will be headed to Kindergarten next year. Saying that I am nervous does not even begin to touch how I feel. The school has never dealt with a peanut allergy. If you will, pray for me and my ability to keep my fears (and worrying) at bay.

14 comments:

Jeanne said...

I will be praying, Jane Anne! This, too, is my biggest fear, but I have a few more years before he has to go to school.

He & Me + 3 said...

I know your fear...Having 2 with nut allergies and epi pens scares me to death. God will watch over them...and just keep reminding them.

Trisha said...

I've been wondering how things were going with that.

Hayes (my oldest) tells everyone that Embry is allergic to peanuts, eggs and oats. He will also say that he is allergic to something if he doesn't want to eat it. And if he doesn't want Embry to have something, he says that it has peanuts or eggs in it. Smarty pants.

I just looked at the onion soup mixes the other day. Turns out I can't buy either since both generic and lipton have the egg warning.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for updating us. I'll be praying for you. And what a great friend...very thoughtful. Which niece? Certainly not Anna Marie? She's quite old to just now have discovered that!

RLR said...

Jane Anne -

Wal-Mart is my favorite place to shop for may daughter's nut-free foods. It is the only place I can find nut-free granola bars, soy butter, and I just discovered jellybeans are free of the top 8 allergens. Check out my post at
http://momsmagic.blogspot.com/2009/01/perfect-jellybean.html

I'm worried about my daughter starting school, too, but have a few years yet. I'll be reading your blog to see how it goes!

Unknown said...

I know how you feel about school and allergy. We were the first ones at our former school as well. It ended up working out well for our son, but I'm certainly glad that our current district is more used to handling food allergies. Just to let you know, that our son has never had any sort of reaction at school. Praise God!

More Than Words said...

Just keep praying protection over him, and your niece as well. Also, pray for the teachers at school to have wisdom in this area.

It is scary, but the Lord doesn't not give us the spirit of fear. He will give you the peace you need, Jane!!

momstheword said...

Well I would imagine that his school will take that responsibility very seriously and will be very careful.

sarah said...

I love the new background!
I have been buying the store brands more too because of an article I read on how most store brands are made by the same big name brand. Example Fred Meyer brand peanut butter (sorry for the peanut example) is made by Jiff.

McCrakensx4 said...

I taught in a school where there were specific peanut free rooms and lunch tables & everything was labeled. Every one was very accomadating. I had a little girl with that kind of allergy and had her epi pen in my desk...just in case. I would hope that the school cooperates fully and all is well! He sounds,too, like he knows what he can and can't have and that is a good thing. God will be with him.

loni said...

My prayers are with you!

FYI: The WalMart baking soda also has a peanut/tree nut warning.

seriously? said...

Hang in there.

BTW, I tagged you in my blog. Head over there and check it out.

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Right along side you on this one. Just now catching up on my blogs. Loved the pigtails in one of the other posts I just read.

Paige said...

My youngest son is 2 and allergic to peanuts as well as eggs, milk, soy and beef. We've already had to change daycare providers once, but I also dread kindergarten. He picked up a piece of peanut butter captain crunch cereal that some kid had dropped on the floor, and his face was so swollen he could hardly open his eyes. He's still just too little to know that he can't have it. : (