Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's Time

I did not buy a calendar this year. In December, I printed a calendar and posted it on the fridge. This worked so well that I did the same thing this month. I love being able to reprint it, if necessary. I haven't had to reprint it but I know I can. I love the freedom in that. I can mark up the page however I want and I am not messing up a beautiful calendar page. The printed calendar is mine from start to finish. It's my schedule.

Yesterday I shared with some friends that I am focusing on using my resources wisely. (I blogged a bit about this in a previous Wednesday Words post.) I came home and began to struggle with my day. What do I need to do? What can wait until later? The To Do list is never done. I was cleaning up the lunch dishes when I began to think about getting my kids in the kitchen. I want to cook with my kids. I want to let them work with me in the kitchen. And yet, the time never seems to be right when they ask to help. I am in a hurry or I am stressed. I don't have the brain power to figure out how to get their little hands involved. I thought to myself, "I need to make time to do that."

And then I realized, I give my time to what is important to me.

Time is my greatest resource. It's time for me to take inventory of myself. What am I doing with my time? Am I cooking with my kids? Am I playing with them? Am I sharing my values with them in the down time - and not just when I am correcting them? Am I giving what I value my time?

If I am to honor God with what I have, I need to honor him with my time. I need to plan ahead. I need to manage my time. I will set aside time for what matters. I do that. Everyone does whether they admit it or not.

My kids will get my undivided attention. I will make sure of it. I will devote time to my husband. I will set aside time for my necessary chores. I will give myself time to relax. I will dedicate time to God. And, I will acknowledge him in all that I do. I have time for everything. It's time for me to take a purpose driven approach to the days on my calendar.


We made cookies yesterday afternoon. It was one of the best parts of my day.

8 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

Love this post! Time is everything to a child. I need to prioritize things a bit too.

More Than Words said...

Oh, you're so right!!!

My kids love it when I do things WITH them.

Great post!!

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

This is so great. Even my kids at two and three really want to help. I always have to be careful when I think it is easier to do myself. Even my little guy helps me with the laundry, at least he thinks he is helping, I just keep my in a hurry attitude in check, and wallah the kids feel worthy.

Blessings

Beth E. said...

This is a great post, and so very true. We always make time for the things that are important to us.

My boys still have fun helping me in the kitchen, and they are almost grown. :o)

What a sweet picture of your boys.

McCrakensx4 said...

What an eye opening post! I need to do that more too! My boys love to help in the kitchen but I am always rushing! I too will give more time! Thanks to helping me to see what they need!

Carrie said...

Okay this is starting to get spooky!! I have a bunch of thoughts racing around in my head, and then I come to read your blog and WOW you are writing my thoughts!!! I only found your blog a few days ago, but this has happened several times already! Quit reading my thoughts! Just kidding, I love your posts. You are very eloquently writing what I can't. So thank you and bless you!!!

By the way, we baked muffins this afternoon (instead of me doing laundry) and I let my 3 year old crack the eggs. We laughed ourselves silly every time the egg exploded when he squeezed it and the whole shell landed in the bowl. It was truly fun!! But I am concerned that I did not get all the shells out LOL

sarah said...

Good reminder, you always have such a way with words.

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog Thank you for the link to yours, this post is very encouraging...seems we mamas need the same word...hearts turned towards home;-)

Blessings,
Michelle
www.shelookethwell.blogspot.com