Thursday, December 04, 2008
Thankful Thursday #64
Thankful Thursday #64 was supposed to be a post overflowing with from my grateful heart. It was supposed to be my Thanksgiving post. I had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I spent a great deal of time being thankful. I just didn't make time to post.
Now it is a week later and...
The last words I said to my two middle children were: "I don't care. All I want is for you not to fight. I want no fighting more than I want anything in the world."
Whew! That sums up how I feel after yesterday. Yesterday was the kind of day where I met my hubby at the door, grabbed the keys and went out for a much needed break. My nerves were shot and I had nothing left to give my kids. (Yes, I texted my hubby to let him know the state of my heart!)
First thing this morning I felt tension as soon as my boys came downstairs because their began arguing immediately. What is it? Are they let down after 2 weeks of company? Is the cloudy weather getting to them? I have no idea. I immediately started praying.
My point? Today I don't feel thankful. I hardly feel hopeful. However, I am thankful for many things. I am going to spend time today focusing on that. Just maybe, that will make the difference in my day.
Here are some things I am thankful for:
1. My hubby: He is a constant encouragement.
2. My parents: It was incredible to have them visit us.
3. Christmas cards: I love getting Christmas cards in the mail. They are reminders of people that I love.
4. Pictures my kids draw: My kids' drawings fill my heart with happiness. I love seeing their creativity. I love listening to them when they draw. The drawings cannot be drawn without sound effects!
5. 1/2 Pump Peppermint Mocha Frappicino: This was the perfect treat for me last night.
6. Finding Old Pictures: I found some hilarious photos last night of my hubby and I (and lots of our friends) at a 70's party in 2000. I laughed so hard I cried.
7. Encouragement in Blogland: Sometimes I come across a post that points my heart in the direction it needs to go. I read a post about prayer recently that reminded me that I need to spend more time alone with God. Go read Devotion to Prayer.
8. Seeing my Kids excited about learning: One son is excited about sounding out letters. My daughter is trying to walk. She learned how to "give 5" last night. One son is learning to pull his own pants up and down when he goes to the bathroom (with mixed results but he is learning). One son is excited about being able to read- words cereal boxes, signs, the computer -just everywhere! I am thankful for their excitement.
9. Music: I keep finding myself singing the little song "This is the Day" (that the Lord has made, that the Lord has made. I will rejoice, I will rejoice and be glad in it). Songs can help me focus and they can change my mood. And, I am going to get out the the Christmas music today!
10. Friends: I am thankful for my blogland friends, friends that email, and friends that I talk to throughout the week. I have many friends and it is encouraging to think about them.