Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Works-for-Me-Wednesday: Holiday Planning


On one crazy day early in the month, I realized that I needed an easy way to look at our holiday plans. I had been sorting through various papers from school, preschool, church, and cub scouts (and on and on). I had another list of possible Christmas activities we might want to do as a family. I printed a calendar. I grabbed a pencil to write in activities. This allowed me to write in all the events that we might or might not want to go to. I decided to make it festive by putting it on some construction paper and decorating it a bit. Then, I posted it on the refrigerator. I thought to myself, "I wonder if my hubby will tease me about this." He didn't. In fact, he has told me over and over (without prompting, I might add) how helpful the calendar is to him. He even wrote a few of his own activies on there without me asking. I have tried so many calendars - from basic family planners to Google calendar online. This is working better for us than any family calendar I have ever had!

5 comments:

RLR said...

Hooray for you! When it comes to calendars, I'm a pencil-and-paper kind of girl, too!

Anonymous said...

This is why I ordered a big desk calendar for work. I'll probably schedule home stuff on there too! :)

Beth E. said...

Is it amazing how the simple, easy things are what work the best? I should remember the KISS rule:
Keep
It
Simple
Silly

He & Me + 3 said...

I love my family calendar that hangs on the kitchen wall. I must check it about 20 times a day to keep me on task and in the right place at the right time. Busy Moms we all are!

Anonymous said...

Love the calendar!! Matt and I go on a date in November and take a printout of a December calendar page and a list of activities that we'd like to do and any other committments for the month. We try to only schedule one or 2 evening activities for a week. Ane we make sure that we have the activities SCHEDULED that we really don't want to miss. We don't want to get to the end of December and try to cram stuff in or be disappointed that we missed something. It helps in being able to know what we need to say no to because we see what we are saying yes to and the fact that it's scheduled really helps. Of course it is in pencil and we are still flexible. I post my calendar, too, but I put it where the kids can't see it and they get to be surprised with each day's activities. Jane Anne, I love that you are so creative and organized. You are such a blessing to your family and to the rest of us for sharing.
Sharon