Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wednesday Words: Slowing Down



"Twitter, Facebook, blogging, e-mail, texting, and IMing all provide super-fast ways to communicate. I’m trying to figure them all out. Slowly.

Their advantages are many. I’ve discovered that they can allow us to follow responses to a live event in pretty much real time, keep us connected, and point us to great resources. They encourage spontaneity, while training us to be brief and relevant. I’ve seen many positive uses so far.

But I’ve also seen how they can also tempt us to be slow to listen, quick to speak and quick to become angry—the exact opposite of what we read in James."


Ann Kroeker, author of Not So Fast

These words resonated with me when I read them at the beginning of the month. I am being convicted to slow down. I am recognizing (and not for the first time) that I need to give priority to my physical world and community first before sinking myself into the internet and all that entertains me online. I enjoy the connections I have online. However, my friends, family, and my loving God need my focus above everything I can reach on a key board.

I encourage you to read the rest of the post: Slow to Tweet. Also, check out the Not So Fast website: Not So Fast. Ann has incredibly encouraging posts about living life at a slower pace.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these thoughts with your reader-friends!

May you enjoy many rich interactions, starting with the people you can look in the eye and hug!

Resting in Him,
Ann

Missy said...

Thank you for the reminder. I sometimes turn to the computer first thing when I have a minute of free time. I need to remember that there are other things that need my attention first.

momstheword said...

Sometimes the kids we know go through all this texting "drama" and I think it's because they don't wait and filter stuff through.

They text (or fb) when they're happy, sad, mad, etc.

One teenage gal I know was mad at her best friend so wrote about it on her fb page (without using names but of course her friend knew it was her).

Like you said, they need to slow down and process their emotions instead of just airing them for all the world to see.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Amen sister! I feel it too!

Mimi said...

I totally needed this. I need less stuff & more God in my life.

Beth E. said...

I wholeheartedly agree!