Tuesday, July 21, 2009

No Sandwich for Me

I dropped off my oldest son, Jonathan, yesterday at his first camp. He is at cub scout day camp all week.




When he was small, I imagined what it would feel like taking my child to camp and I just couldn't imagine dropping my child off with adults that were not close friends. I knew I would be nervous. I thought I would be worrying about my son's safety and happiness.

I did pray that my son would be safe. However, I was excited for him. I felt sure he would have a blast.

The thing was, I kept thinking about my second son, David. He is insanely jealous this week because he isn't old enough for cub scout camp yet. He longs for it. I dread it. He has a severe peanut allergy and it makes me crazy nervous to think about him attending a camp. It was impossible not to think about as we prepared my oldest son for camp. My husband talked this weekend about how he might take a week off and go with David to camp when he is old enough. That might be the only way that we feel comfortable with him being there.

I just couldn't help thinking about David as I looked at all of the campers. That is what made me nervous. I wasn't nervous for Jonathan. I was nervous for David's future camp visits.

Turns out, I wasn't the only one thinking about David's peanut allergy.

My oldest came home super excited. A friend of mine dropped him off in the afternoon.



She said, "Oh, just one thing... you might pack him a lunch for tomorrow. He wouldn't eat his lunch today."

What?

Jonathan refused to eat the peanut butter and jelly sandwich he was served because his brother is allergic to peanuts.

I was stunned.

Jonathan could have eaten peanut butter when he was at camp. I figured he knew that. I talked to him about it.

He said, "Well, I didn't know... and, I didn't want to have to wash my hands 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocous"! I don't like to wash my hands that much."

I smiled.


I believe it's more than not liking to wash his hands. I believe it's a sign that he cares for his brother. They fight. They often argue. Still, he wants to protect his brother. That makes me smile.

I told him he could eat the peanut butter and jelly at camp. He doesn't want to. I am okay with that.

We sent him with a lunch from home.

12 comments:

Jeanne said...

What an honorable young man he is! This warms my heart!!!

RLR said...

Wow - that is wonderful! Such a smart and considerate boy!

Unknown said...

What a great big brother!

And I totally understand about the anxiety you feel. The allergy just makes everything so complicated.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Oh how sweet! What a great big brother!

Missy said...

What a sweet big brother!

Grace said...

Hi Jane Anne, it is my first time here in your blog and I enjoyed being here. I love your photos. :)

Pam said...

That touches my heart, Jane Anne.

He & Me + 3 said...

That is the sweetest thing ever. What a cautious and caring brother.

More Than Words said...

Oh, how sweet!!!!! And how thoughtful!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. I am totally teary eyed. Love that story!!
sharon

wife.mom.nurse said...

oh my, what a neat story. That boy is so special.

I was thinking of your fears of sending you little ones off to camp...it's so hard to imagine when they are young...then God gives you what you need to get through it when the time comes.

But the allergy thing...
As big of a stretch as it is, I do think God will give you that strength when it is time.

Even though it is me with the allergy, I am sure it would be 10000000 times harder on my if it was my child.

Carrie said...

oh I have a big lump in my throat and tears in my eyes! He certainly has a sweet caring spirit!