Friday, July 24, 2009

The Root of the Problem

I love this pot. I am comfortable with it. I could put it almost anywhere in my home and enjoy it.


I had to take the plant out of the pot because it was not growing strong. The plant was getting less and less healthy.

The plant kept growing but the leaves were not strong or healthy. In fact, several had been falling off.

The problem was the plant had no room to grow.

The roots were growing tighter and tighter around themself.

The roots took in the nutrients from the soil and water but couldn't get them to where they were needed.

As I started working on re-potting my plant, I realized that my life has been a lot like my little plant. I am growing. I continue to give myself what I need to grow (food, exercise, friends, reading the Bible, and prayer). I have been growing. I am just not sure I am growing strong enough.

I am comfortable with my life. I have great friends. I am involved in wonderful activies. I read. I exercise. I play. I lead a healthy, happy life.

I keep myself tightly contained in my life.

I need to take myself out of my self-created comfortable space. I need to spread out. I need to look for opportunities to meet, serve, and get to know other people. I must search for ways to grow (in my relationships, my intelligence, and my spiritual understanding).

I know that if I am to get stronger, I have to face challenges.

I am open to the work that must be done in my heart and my life.



I should expect struggles and challenges, as I pull my comfort-zone apart.



I gave my plant a bigger pot, fresh soil, and water.

I know that stepping out of my comfort zone will lead to opportunities, relationships and a strengthened faith.

I want to continue to grow. I want to grow strong.

This plant is now on my kitchen counter. It's roots are on my mind and challenging me not to be so comfortable in my life that I unable to grow.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for that, what a great reminder! I think what you've said is very applicable to where I am in my life as well.

Beth E. said...

This is good! Have you ever considered submitting some of your posts as devotionals?

He & Me + 3 said...

Beautiful...I love your analogy to grow us. Step out of our comfort zones & grow!

McCrakensx4 said...

What a great post Jane Anne! Really beautiful.

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

This is so great, and oh so true.

sarah said...

you are so clever! I love it!

Nowheymama said...

I have two tired plants giving me the eye as I read this.

Great post.

Five Moms & A Blog said...

BTW...I love your new little profile picture...so cute!
Hugs,
mimi

More Than Words said...

Awesome!! Ament to that! I loved how you used the pot as an example!!

Anonymous said...

fooonce again you have inspired me to be a better woman...thanks Jane Anne...
patti brown

Carrie said...

uggg stepping out! This is exactly what has been on my heart lately. I need to get out and make new friends. Right now I am visiting with my parents and meeting up with very dear high school friends. You know the kind of friendships that just pick up as if no time has passed - even though you have not seen or spoken to them for 5 or even 10 years!

Anyway, this has had me aching for friendships close to home. A year ago we moved across the country, then a couple months ago we moved again. I am so tired of "getting to know you" conversations and having telling our life story over and over. Yet I know I need to keep getting out and meeting new people so that I can have other adults to talk to besides my hubby. Sometimes he just isn't a very good "girlfriend". LOL

blah blah blah complain complain...sorry to take up such a huge comment space, but I guess I thought you would get it!

Your beautifully written post made me realize that I have been complaining in my heart when I really should be making plans to meet new people when I get home - MOPS here I come!!!

Anonymous said...

Forgive my shallow question - what are you doing with the first pot? It is a great pot that will look good no matter where it goes.

Thanks for the inspiring analogy.
Sharon

Unknown said...

well said!