Thursday, July 02, 2009

Thursday Thanks Tank #94



I am thankful for my sister.

My younger sister has come through a great deal in her life. She has perservered through serious medical issues. I'd explain it all to you but I would probably explain it wrong or mispell medical terms. She had a condition that is rare as an adult. It was not uncommon in infants. Usually, when found in an infant, surgery was performed. For adults, the surgery was considered life-threatening. She had (the 1st) surgery at Vanderbilt hospital.

I remember sitting in hospital room after surgery, thanking God she was alive. I remember worrying about her. I remember feeling weak when I saw her begin throwing up bile. I did not know what bile was but I knew that the green stuff coming out of her mouth could not be good. I remember getting up and telling my husband (who had rushed to help my sister) that I would be back. I remember seeing my mom and dad walking down the hospital hall. I remember my dad asking me if I was okay.

I do not remember fainting.

I do not remember how I got to the chair where the nurses brought me juice and crackers.

The next day when I got to the hospital, there was a wheelchair outside of my sister's room with a sign on it that read, "Fainting Chair."

Boy, we all got a laugh out of that!

I felt silly for fainting. I was glad that everyone was able to laugh, though.
Sometimes, in difficult situations, it's good to laugh.

I am thankful for my sister.

She's an amazing woman. She loves her kids without reserve. She is there for her man. She is a military spouse. She often takes care of everything on her own. She loves her husband, prays for him, and teaches her kids to adore him. My sister is a woman of faith. She has a sincere and strong faith in God. She is one of the most organized people I know. Sometimes I think that God didn't give me some organizational skills (because he knew I wouldn't use them well) and he gave her extra. I learn from my sister. She often inpsires me to try harder to be more organized, to show people how much I care in the little ways like writing thank you notes, to stand my ground when it may not be easy on others and many, many other ways that I cannot put into words.

My sister and I are separated by distance. Right now we are closer in distance but still too far away to get together. It's difficult. I am having a hard time missing her. It is hard to be closer but still so far away.

I thought of the hospital story tonight when I was thinking about how thankful I am for my sister. I am certainly thankful that she recovered from her surgeries. I am thankful that she is my sister.

Please pray for me as I am emotional right now missing my sister and other family members that I cannot see. Compared to so many other things, this is a little thing. Still, I'd love for you to say a prayer me - for us. It's difficult for all of us, I think.

8 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Beautiful.

He & Me + 3 said...

Not being able to see family that you are close to is very difficult. I will pray for you Jane anne. I have been there.
So glad you sister is ok now too.

Beth E. said...

What an awesome post! Your sister sounds like such a wonderful person.

I am separated by distance from my sister and brother. I miss them terribly! I'll be praying for you and your family.

Blessings,
Betn

Unknown said...

Saying lots and lots of prayers.

samantha said...

Praying for you, your family and to your sister's health!

Trisha said...

What a wonderful relationship the two of you share. Praying that you'll get to spend more time together in the future.

Jessica said...

You have made me miss not having a sister. This post was so beautiful. Prayers and blessings your way Jane Anne!

Anonymous said...

You have the sweetest heart....I'm sorry I didn't get to see you while you were here....I just wanted to visit with such an extraordinary young woman....you inspire me to be a better person! Carrie is a sweetie amd you are both lucky to have each other and Jennifer!

patti b.