Monday, August 03, 2009

Rocks in the Sand



I look at the rocks in the sand.


Pebbles irratically placed catch my eye.


I am drawn to a red rock.


I am caught by the sight of a broken shell.


I forget to look up.


I forget to gaze at the ocean.






Each day my attention is given to small, insignificant tasks. I run myself ragged managing the mundane details of a household of 6. There are joys, of course. Just last night my littlest sat on the potty and peed. There are struggles. Why, oh why, do boys always want to resolve arguments in a physical manner? I make my way through each day, taking quiet inventory of triumphs and failures.

Some days, I forget to thank God for the blessings and pour out my heart for my burdens. I forget to look up.

I don't want to miss the ocean because I am looking at the rocks in the sand.

15 comments:

Brandi said...

So did you get your girl on the 4th try, or do you have a set of twins? I don't think I'm that brave. It's funny to look at the pics of your boys because. . . well, boys are boys. I see a lot of similarities in the things my boys do. They were driving me batty in the car yesterday afternoon. It's always good to remember to look up! :)

RLR said...

This really speaks to my heart today. As always, thanks for the reminder :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jane Anne,
Matt said you had a fun conversation about the difference between boys and girls and how they act when they are upset. We have a lot of tears and drama and very little physical aggression. Thanks for the reminder to look up when I feel like going crazy sometimes.
sharon

McCrakensx4 said...

Fantastically said Jane Anne...THANKS for the reminder to keep looking up and out! (some days I need it more than others!)

Amy Jo said...

Thank you for this post. It is a good reminder.

Trisha said...

amazing. thank you!

Jessica said...

I think you've summed up motherhood right there.

Macey said...

Oh, so true! I agree with what Jessica said, too. That's motherhood for ya.
Do you have any advice on the whole "boys solving conflict with fighting" thing? Mine are just starting this and I wanna nip it in the bud. Drives me nuts.

Missy said...

I often forget as well. Thanks for reminding me to look up, even if it's just for a moment.

He & Me + 3 said...

Your posts always speak to my heart. I totally agree! It can be difficult to remember to look up. Thanks!

More Than Words said...

So beautifully written! It's so easy to miss the big picture when we're so focused on the trivial things!!

Carin said...

So very well written, thank you so much for sharing that!

Carrie said...

ugg boys! Mine are just 2 and 3 and are so physical already, I struggle every day to get them to keep the peace before they hurt each other.

The post is beautiful, I love how you weave them together in such a thought provoking way.

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

So true Jane Anne... It is so easy to get caught up in all the junk and not remember the beauty.

Have a blessed day. By the way, I just emailed your card, you should get it anytime now. Sorry it took me so long.

Mimi said...

I needed this reminder today. Thank you.