Friday, August 14, 2009

An Original Recipe

Last night I made biscuits. I love warm homemade biscuits with melted butter and a little bit of honey. They just melt in your mouth.




My grandmother makes the best biscuits. I grew up adoring going to her house for many reasons just one of which was her amazing breakfasts that included biscuits made from scratch.


Sometime before I got married (and then again after I got married), I got her to show me how to make her biscuits. The most difficult part- adding a little flour and little milk until the dough felt just right. She tried to measure out the ingredients just for me. A dash of this equals about 1/4 teaspoon and a handful of this equals around 1/2 cup. She did her best to show me and I did my best to imitate.


My imitation biscuits were not good.


They didn't turn out right no matter what I did. They were flat or dry or didn't have the right taste. Still, I wanted biscuits. I wanted to master making them from scratch.


I turned to a cookbook and found a recipe for biscuits. The recipe calls for many of the same ingredients as my grandmother's biscuits. These biscuits were a breeze to make and tasted delightful.


I was thinking about all of this last night when I made my biscuits. You see, my biscuits are not my grandmother's delicious biscuits but they are good.


As I was kneeding the dough, began to think about myself and how hard I work to be who I am.





I was reminded that I often try hard to imitate someone I look up to. I look at other people and want to be like them. I can take the steps that I see someone else taking. I can adopt the same attitude someone else has. I can try to absorb the knowledge someone else has.



However, I cannot be them.


I may have the same ideals and beliefs as someone else but that does not mean that I was meant to turn out the same. There is no cookie cutter that will yield excellence.




I have my own strengths and weaknesses. I have my own personality. I have my own unique perspective on life. To excel, I have to stop comparing myself to others.



I may not be as good as I think others are. But, I am good.


When my focus is right, when I find direction through prayer and reading my Bible, I will excel the way I am supposed to.


17 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Thank you JJ. I struggle with this a lot. And your biscuits look delicious! :) I might have to try and make me some!

Seth said...

Thanks. I cannot tell you enough how much you inspire me to be a better person. I appreciate your thoughts, reflections, musings; they help me focus on what's real and important instead of what's shallow and temporary. I'm blessed because of and through you.

Macey said...

What a sweet comment from Seth!
It's awesome that you can do a post about biscuits but it's not really about biscuits...you are great.
Macey

More Than Words said...

Aww..your hubby is so sweet!!

I love how you incorporated that into your cooking!!

And I love biscuits too!!!!!!!!

RLR said...

Another musing to add to my favorites list! A lot of my negative self-talk revolves around comparing myself to others - thankfully I'm not as guilty of that as I once was. Thanks for the reminder that each of us is fearfully and wonderfully made - perfect just the way we are.
Also - have to echo everyone else - Seth has had such sweet comments yesterday and today. What wonderful affirmations!

Missy said...

I struggle a lot with this. Read my blog today. It has a similar tone.


By the way, I've never been able to perfect biscuits and just go with Pillsbury. =)

Ann Kroeker said...

Biscuit devotions.

Love it!!

Amy Jo said...

Ditto to Seth's comments...truly and honestly and heartfelt.

Beth E. said...

What a great lesson...the biscuits look yummy! I like them with honey, too. I buy raw honey at our local Farmer's Market. It is delish!

sarah said...

I am going to make these-I have a yummy recipe for honey butter that is too die for-infact maybe i need to make them now!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Beautiful post and so true...

And I just noticed your button. I'm going to grab it for my blog...

Jen said...

Lovely. All around.

Kimberly said...

LOVED this post!!!! LOVE your biscuits!!!! And I just realized my pain meds are kicking in and I'm getting very loopy.
But I really loved this post, it spoke to my heart!

He & Me + 3 said...

Jane Anne,

You inspire me. So true, we cannot be those that we look up too, but I can be the best ME that I can be through HIM.
Hugs,
Mimi

Nishant said...

I am completely agree with seth comment really its amazing.........



Work From Home

Anonymous said...

I love you and your biscuits. My husband is thrilled when I make biscuits for him and we put n his homemade jam. I use the recipe you gave me after we had biscuits at your house. Having never tasted your grandmother's biscuits, I think these are delicious. Thanks for sharing.
Sharon

kanishk said...

I'm blessed because of and through you.

kobe beef japan