Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Works-For-Me Wednesday: Summer Soap


Today's Works-For-Me Wednesday over at We are THAT Family is the "Mom I'm Bored" Summer Edition. You really should head over there and check out all of the fantastic ideas to keep your kids from getting bored this summer.


When my kids are bored, I tell them to get creative. I also I tend to send them outside to play. Creativity and outside play often leads to 1 thing - getting hurt. I recently discovered the perfect solution for cleaning cuts and scrapes.


Memorial Day weekend my son landed in a blackberry bush (at least that's what my husband said it was). He had a pretty nice cut on his hand. We were out with friends, it was dusk, and we were getting ready to roast marshmallows over a bonfire. We threw some ointment on the cut and slapped a band-aid on it. My son was almost inconsolable. He hardly ate his s'more (only because I threatened to eat it!). He only stopped fretting about it when he fell asleep exhausted from the fun day.


The next morning I had to clean that cut. He wanted nothing to do with it. He tried to hide. He fussed and whined. He did not want me to even touch his hand, much less remove the band-aid.


Then, I remembered the foam soap I had bought to let the kids play with in the bath.


I brought my son to the bathroom for a "surprise" and then I showed him the foam soap. It took a few minutes for him to warm up to the idea and let go off his fear of anything touching his cut. But, after that, he had a blast playing with the soap. His cut was clean and I was the coolest mom ever.


When I originally bought the Foam soap (at Wal-mart) months and months ago, I let the kids use it in the bath. It was pretty frivolous and they went through it really quick. I didn't envision buying more. That one bottle I had left was worth every penny. I will buy more for this summer - for the season of cuts and scrapes.


Here's my little trooper enjoying the suds.



17 comments:

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

This is a post I so could have written...a little distraction to help ease the fear of getting boo-boo cleaned.
I'll keep my eye out for that soap...my boys would love it too.

More Than Words said...

LOL...the things we do as moms!!!

That looks like fun soap. My kids would waste it in one day!!

RLR said...

What a great idea!

McCrakensx4 said...

That is such a great tidbit! I have some, but really never thought it had much use! I too thought it was a waste...not anymore!! Thanks and I hope his hand heals quickly!

Paula @ Organizing Tips For Moms said...

Good thinking Mom! I'm sure my kids would go through that quickly. It would be good for camping!

Michelle Smiles said...

My daughter would beg to wash her hands all day long with fun soap like that! LOL

samantha said...

Great thinking! This is one I can try without the threat of going to the hospital for shots if it doesn't get clean =)

Heather said...

I haven't seen that type of soap before. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. My son loves the "regular" foaming soap like the kind Dial makes. I keep the foaming bottle and make my own foaming soap when it's empty, filling 1/3 of the container with liquid hand soap, and 2/3 with water.

sarah said...

that is a great idea. I bought some too and thought the same thing, but that is a great solution! thanks

JM - The Princess said...

What a great idea. We usually use that Bactine stuff because we can squirt it on without touching it but still get complaints because it is medicine. But fun soap, I am sure that would be a different story.

Happy WFMW and for stopping by my blog too.

Five Moms & A Blog said...

I will have to use that little trick!!! ;)

Thanks for stopping by the MOM blog and leaving us a comment...WE LOVE IT! Now, go see "THE PROPOSAL"!!!

Carrie said...

LOL! My kids use so much soap! WHat a great way to get him cleaned up! Look how happy he is now! Way to go MOM! ;)

He & Me + 3 said...

How cute. I will have to get me some of that foam soap. Looks like fun!

Trisha said...

How fun! And a blackberry bush? Ouch.

Jessica said...

GREAT IDEA! Mom has to do what she has to do!!

sunnymama said...

I've never seen foam soap before but it looks a lot of fun! This is such a creative post. I really like how you turned something your son was unhappy about into a fun activity, just by using a bit of imagination. Good for you :) I hope your son's hand is better now.

keb said...

Hello there! I am Kevin, from the Philippines, I'm 18, and you know what? When I got kids, I wish they are as good and as cute as yours! Really love your kids and this blog! I'm following now! Great!