Monday, June 29, 2009

Mom Moment: I am going to miss security blankets one day

My 4 year-old son has a sleeping buddy. His buddy, Bobby, is a blue lion that has a stuffed head and a blanket body. Every night, my son spreads him out just right on his pillow so he can sleep. He will only sleep on one side of Bobby. He says it is the cooler side. We make sure that Bobby is with us if there is a chance for sleep (nap or nighttime - Bobby is a must).

When we got ready for our vacation, we made sure Bobby was packed. During the hour and half drive to the airport, my son asked for Bobby. He was tired already. My husband told him that Bobby was packed but that we would get him out of the suitcase when we got to the airport.

There was a lot to do at the airport. The kids were excited. People were everywhere. We had to check in. We took our bags to luggage check-in and then we waited in line to go through security. My son was tired. He complained about not wanting to stand in line. He wanted someone to carry him. He wanted Bobby. My husband gave me a look and, in an instant, I knew we were in trouble.

We broke the news gently that Bobby was still packed in a suitcase. My son's heart broke. We assured him that we would get Bobby as soon as we landed and got our bags. He cried and cried and continued to cry. He cried for an hour as we waited to get on the plane.


The trip was long. We had one 4 hour flight, an hour lay over, and then a 45 minute flight. We were tired (especially me) when we arrived. I was standing with family watching the kids run around when I heard the announcement for anyone missing luggage to report to the airline desk. I watched my husband come get his ticket and I asked him if we were missing bags. He said, "Only one" and he gave me that look again.

Sure enough, all of our bags made it except the bag with Bobby.

That night, my son handled not having Bobby like a champ. He was extremely tired and happy to be with family. As I helped him fold a blanket and place it on his pillow, he said, "Momma, this doesn't feel like Bobby."

The whole situation squeezed this Momma's heart.

Our bag was returned. I felt like a hero when I handed my son his treasured Bobby.

I know I am going to miss his love of Bobby one day.

16 comments:

Carrie said...

The joy on his face brought a lump to my throat! What a heartbreaking story with a precious ending!

He & Me + 3 said...

Holy Cow...that story had me on the edge of my seat. So glad they found that luggage and Bobby. Look at that sweet face and that love. Too cute.

Nowheymama said...

Oh NO! I'm so glad he got it back. Poor baby.

Trisha said...

Awww... look at that face. Embry has "Puppy" and Ellie has a blankie. We've spent hours looking for those things before bedtime. :)

Carrie said...

Oh, I know exactly what that is like! Emily has a blankie that we take everywhere...even though she's 5 now! We always wonder how we've managed not to lose it yet! She is definitley lost without it...and sleeps with it every night! Sometimes we have to go on a scavenger hunt at bedtime looking for it, because it's under the couch, under a pillow, in the basement, in the car... {sigh} but I will miss it too! So cute!

sarah said...

I love the picture of him finally holding Bobby! Oh I just want you to know I took my blanket to college!

cbogie said...

That boy couldn't get a bigger smile on his face! Whew! Eli still has Spot (named that cuz there is a special spot on it he likes) and Spot is a "he" BTW. Hannah hates that Eli's blanket has a gender!!

Unknown said...

Sasha has had her "B" (blanket) since she was born. She would react the same way, I'm so glad Thomas got his one back!

More Than Words said...

Oh my gosh...that was exactly like my son Eli when he was a baby! Except he had these certain blankets that he would carry around EVERYWHERE!! They were light cotton blankets and they were super soft!! He had a blue one, a yellow one, and one that blue & yellow! It was so weird because he lost one, and the others stared to rip. Eventually they were all gone and I was soooooooooo sad!! But, I think he was being weaned from them as they were slowly disappearing..LOL! But, I know that feeling when you don't have that security blanket for them!! It DOES make you sad for them!!!!

Love that picture of him and Bobby!!!!! Awwww!!!

everydayMOM said...

I was JUST thinking that I should write a post about my kids and their blankies. I almost fell off my seat when you said the luggage got lost. That would have been a disaster for my youngest!

My middle son, who is 6, still calls his blankie "Va-Vee", which sounds a lot like Bobby!

Glad your little guy was reunited with the blankie!

Jeanne said...

Oh, poor thing! That is such a sweet story. I hope you've recorded it in a book for him somewhere!

samantha said...

What a cutie. Bobby would make a great baby shower gift for your daughter-in-law someday with a letter telling her how much he ment to your little boy once upon a time. Make sure he is out on the trip home !)

Anonymous said...

that is precious! I saved a few things from the early years of my children....they meant and still mean so much to me because of the attached memories... I have passed down several of the items to the kids and their spouses but the sentimental attachemnt is in my heart as only another mother would understand. Thanks for sharing ...
patti brown

Missy said...

I know exactly what you went through. While we have never actually "lost" the lovie, I know that it would be a very traumatic experience if we did.

J's blanket is so ragged and torn up, it's hardly recognizable. I may have to patch it up a little soon. But he still clings to that thing nightly at bed time and cannot sleep well without it.

wife.mom.nurse said...

oh my, a disaster avoided!

That is some serious stuff. We still have tears over a special toy that never came home with us on vacation 2 years ago. Breaks this mama's heart.

Beth E. said...

What a great picture! I'm so glad there was a happy ending to this story!