Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Two for Tuesday

Here are two posts you should read today.

1. Chosen

This is great post by my husband describing a conversation he had with my 8 year-old last night. I'm biased, of course, but I think it is hilarious.

2. Boy Outgrows His Peanut Allergy, At Least for a While

This is an article in the Washington Post about a boy that had a Peanut Allergy that is now supposed to eat peanuts regularly. (It's written by the 14 year-old.) I am really interested in what others think on this one. He outgrew his peanut allergy. Later, he ate a peanut butter cookie and his throat felt itchy. The blood test came back negative so he was told to eat peanuts. That's pretty scary to me.

8 comments:

Nicole said...

I thought the same thing about the boy. He was told to eat peanuts every day, but what about his throat feeling itchy? That seems scary to me too.

everydayMOM said...

I can't imagine that any allergist would give a child peanut butter to determine if he was allergic! That is crazy!

Our allergist won't even do a prick test because of the risk of a reaction! Wouldn't they at least do a blood test to confirm he wasn't allergic, rather than feeding him peanut M&Ms?

He said they did do the blood test later. But his throat still felt itchy? Hmm...

I guess it's possible he has a sensitivity, rather than a true allergy. I think overall it wasn't the best journalism to print a story like that without any opinions from doctors one way or another to back it up or give warnings to other families.

He And Me + 3 said...

Wow now that is scary. Crazy too. I will have to pop over to hubs blog.

Shawn said...

I agree with everydayMOM ... feeding him something with peanuts and watching for a reaction? That sounds a little quack-ish - especially for Johns Hopkins.

McCrakensx4 said...

That story that your hubby told was totally LOL!!! I will have to share that with hubby, cuz my oldest would totally get it!! Thanks for the giggle!

RLR said...

Loved the 'bedtime' story! Laugh-out-loud funny!

momstheword said...

Your husband's story was cute!

I would not be letting my kid eat peanuts, I don't care what the doctor said!

I know that i used to be allergic to tomatoes but I can eat them now with no trouble. However, I wouldn't mess with peanuts if I had been allergic before.

sarah said...

I don't know what I think about the article. With Jack we know he has allergies to certain foods and are regularly seeing a gastrontologist (sp). One thing we have recently started to do is giving him formula with lactose. As he nears his 1st birthday the dr wants him to slowly be introduced to lactose again to see if he has out grown his allergy. I dreaded doing it because he was such a miserable little guy his first 2 months of life until we took him off. The Dr told me it was my decision, but I really needed to do it because lactose is in way more than just milk and dairy (like jack most people who have a lactose allergy also have a fructose one) I had to start him with 1/2 and 1/2 just this past week he is on all lactose formula so far no side effects. Granted the scale of his allergy is much different than a peanut allergy that could be deadly, but in some way the concept is simular. Any how I am rambling, but I do find it really interesting the whole concept of allergies and how they can seem to come and go. I think I shared with you that Joe was recently diagnosed with a slight peanut allergy-he lived off PBJ since coming off his exzema has completely cleared up!