Monday, June 08, 2009

Not Me! Monday: Festival Style

Welcome to my version of "Not Me! Monday." This blog carnival was created by MckMama. You can head over to her blog to read what she and everyone else have not been doing this week. (At the time that I posted this, MckMama doesn't have a Not Me! Monday post up yet. Go ahead and check out her blog and pray for her little Stellan, too.)



This weekend my little town hosted the Strawberry Festival. This is a big deal in our town and this year was the 100th year of the Festival. We went to the Junior Parade on Friday (the kids get out of school early for this), the Grand Parade on Saturday, and the carnival on Sunday.


Here are some things that I did not do during the Festival. If I did these things, I would have taken pictures and I obviously did not do that- not me.

I did not wait until 45 minutes before the Junior Parade to decide if I was going to participate (walking in it with my MOPS group). It had been raining off and on during day and my little girl had shots that morning. I did not make my daughter miss her nap on the same day she had shots so we could walk in the parade. That would be ridiculous. Not me- I was not breathing a huge sigh of relief that she did so well in the parade!

I did not overcompensate for my son’s peanut allergy by bringing a ton of safe candy to the Grand Parade. The people in the parade throw candy to the kids watching. Every time my son didn’t get candy, I didn’t give him some from our stash. I am not responsible for their sugar high - not me!

I did not think that the quilt car was really cool. I mean, I was not stunned when a friend made fun of it on Facebook. I didn’t take a picture of it because I liked it. Nope, it wasn’t for me - I just want to show it to my grandmother. I mean, look at the picture! That took a lot of work. I don't love it- not at all, not me!

I did not jump up and down and scream when I saw my son on his cub scout float in the Grand Parade. I also didn't draw an arrow in this picture just so you can see how cute he was in the parade- nope, not me, I would never show off my kids (or act like a crazy momma!).

I did not have to restrain myself when my son went on “big kid” rides. I did not almost loose it when my 8 year-old looked like was going to loose his lunch on this ride.

Then, after worrying like crazy on that 1st big ride, I did not wait, with camera ready, for my son to come out of the Gravitron, certain that he would throw up. I was not totally surprised when he loved it and rode it 5 times in a row. I am not still shocked it took 5 rides before he needed a break - not me.

I did not catch my husband sneaking lots of sips of the kids’ slushies.

I did not make each of my boys allow me to pour some slushie into my 18 month old’s sippy cup. That wouldn’t be a healthy drink for her. I didn’t- I most certainly wouldn't- not me!

I did not take my daughter out of the stroller every chance I got, even though someone (my helpful husband) kept putting her back in whenever possible. Nope, I didn't notice that at all- not me.

13 comments:

RLR said...

Looks like SO MUCH FUN! I, too, would *never* take sips from my kids' slushies. *Ever.* (haha!)

John and Carrie said...

Awesome post!!! I loved reading it and seeing all the visuals (pictures)!!!! Thanks for a good LOL. All this that you didn't do, just proves again that your children have the best momma!!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun weekend. I still think it's cute to see you write "my little girl". I think I got a little queasy just reading about Jonathon's rides. I'm glad he didn't lose his lunch even though it would have been an interesting picture.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those great pics and comments, JA! I miss little hometown festivals like that! We had lots more in Ohio than we do here! Did Seth ride the Gravitron with Jonathan?? I used to ride spinning rides with Ben, but not anymore!! I really get a sick feeling just looking at them :)

Maggie

Carrie said...

Oh, the Gravitron...bleh! {that's me getting sick! LOL!}

What fun pictures...love the clouds...looks like a lot of fun, so glad you were able to participate and have great memories! {I would never show off my kids either, that is just unheard of!}

McCrakensx4 said...

That festival looks like so much fun! All of your moments are too funny! Made me laugh!

More Than Words said...

How fun!!! I bet the kids had a blast! Especially your son on the float!!

Kimberly said...

I didn't love this post. I didn't get super excited when I read on my FB wall that you'd posted a not-me post - NOT ME! I ALSO didn't love all the pics proving all the things you didn't do! And my heart doesn't ache a little from missing you! NOT ME!!!!! ;-)

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

That looks like a blast! Both my boys rode the Gravitron at our festival Memorial Day weekend. I FREAKED when I realized that I sent my food allergy child in there without an EPI Pen and that it totally closed up and that I couldn't see him or get to him. It was not a stellar food allergy mommy moment for me. My heart raced and I almost threw up until he was out of there. I'd never seen it before and I had no idea what it was. I said that next time Dad and the EPI pen must go with him.

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

That looks like so much fun! I'm so jealous...I wish we lived in a smaller town so my kids could participate in things like a strawberry festival.

He & Me + 3 said...

What a fun time. I love the slushy picture of hubby. Too funny. You are so thoughtful about the nut allergy thing. You think ahead so much. Great mom you are!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Seriously, I loved the quilted van! Cute pics of the kiddos at the carnival. You forgot to put that you absolutely did not flirt with any of the carnies!

momstheword said...

Love the pictures! So nice to see more picture of you, my friend!

That quilt car is amazing. Imagine the work that went into it? Who thinks of doing stuff like that, lol!

I always look forward to MYHSM posts, because you never know what people are going to say and they always encourage me!