Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Rock


A few months ago, I went to the coast. I took a walk on the beach and soaked up the sights and smells. I was amazed by the beauty of nature. I found myself fascinated by a bird on a rock. Waves crashed in around the bird. The bird stood still. The tide was coming in. As I watched, the splash of the waves got bigger. The bird was not startled by the force of the water. The bird continued to rest on the rock. Another bird flew by. The bird stayed.


I watched the bird for a long time. I was reminded of how easily my circumstances can rattle me. I was reminded of verses that refer to God as our Rock.

Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 78:35
They remembered that God was their Rock, that God Most High was their Redeemer.

I cannot shake the image of the bird from my mind. It challenges me. When my daily grind gets on my nerves, when I am too busy, when people I know do things that baffle me, when I don't have a good attitude, I must remember my Rock.

I must remember to spend time -in my solitary place - talking to God and reading my Bible.

Then, when the world swirls around me, I can stand strong.

10 comments:

Carrie said...

Beautiful pictures and LOVE the significance of them :)

So true...how hard to find that rock sometimes to perch on...God was definitely there with you at that moment!

Anonymous said...

Great thought, thanks for sharing!

Jessica said...

Beautiful, love this post.

John and Carrie said...

Awesome!

Ann Kroeker said...

Beautiful photos--what an image to return to, of the bird on the rock not letting anything distract or tempt her from her perch. She's on a solid spot and she knows it. Let the wind blow, let the ocean spray, let the other birds flap away. I'm staying put.

Thanks for these words and photos--devotionals are so interactive these days when real people share their hearts and souls!

sarah said...

Good reminder! thanks

McCrakensx4 said...

Love the meaning you put with such amazing photos! Thanks for sharing and making me take the time to slow down and remember.

He & Me + 3 said...

Awesome! So glad He is my rock too.

wife.mom.nurse said...

oh i just love it...

Thank God for our Rock

Missy said...

Thank you for the reminder.