Monday, October 19, 2009

Redefining Crazy

We are redefining crazy at my house.

My husband has lost his ever livin' mind.

Before I explain, let me back up a bit...

We grew up in the South. We grew up watching and loving SEC football. We both grew up in Knoxville, Tennessee. I went away to college to the University of Alabama. My husband went to the hometown University of Tennessee.

This past Sunday our house was full of music. It was scary. Sweet Home Alabama followed by Rocky Top followed by Sweet Home Alabama followed by Rocky Top... thank goodness our windows were shut or our neighbors would have thought we had lost it.

My husband has lost it.

He just informed me that he is going to continue to cheer for Tennessee when they are winning this weekend even though I am going to be sad. He says he knows I am going to be sad and it isn't going to stop him.

I thought I knew what crazy was until now.

Alabama is ranked #1 or #2, depending on which poll you look at.
Tennessee isn't ranked.

The beauty of SEC football is that it is going to be a good game. I have no doubt about it. Even so, the odds are slightly in Alabama's favor.

Between now and Saturday, we are going to redefine crazy at my house. We are going to trash talk. We are going to reminisce about past football games. We are going to encourage our kids to root for our teams. We are going to listen to the songs. We are going to trash talk about football. We will not stop until we hear the last song at the game - whether it be Rocky Top or Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer.


For anyone that's lives in the Pacific Northwest with us, well... our behavior this week might be a bit unnerving. Don't let us scare you. We will return to our normal grit lovin', southern twang talkin', sweet tea drinkin' selves next week.

12 comments:

Kimberly said...

you crazy kids have fun this week!!!! =)

Kaleena said...

Ah....A house divided! We live in TN and I am in Knoxville all the time. Those redio stations play Rocky Top several times a day...especially on game day. I gotta say that by the time football season is over, I'm truly SICK of Rocky Top! A little boy in my daughter's first grade class hums that song over and over again...out loud. My daughter sits in front of him and it drives her crazy. Just last week she got in trouble for putting her hands over her ears and screaming loudly (interrupting the class) "I can't take it anymore! If he don't stop that song then I'm going to pull my ears off and beat him with them!"

Amy Jo said...

He is crazy! I hate to utter the words but CU may even be better than UT this year. HAHAHAHA :)

Macey said...

That is so funny! We do that for the Civil War here. :)

He & Me + 3 said...

Oh that is so fun. I love it when hubs and I are on opposite sides for games. Makes it so much fun. WE have so much fun during brackets for Basketball for the final four!

samantha said...

Thanks for the warning!! Haha

More Than Words said...

LOL! That was too cute! I think healthy competition is a fun thing!

Beth E. said...

Y'all have a twang? You drink sweet tea? Allllriiiiiight!!!

Jenny said...

I'm sure it is going to be highly entertaining to watch from the outside looking in. Steve and I are both Oregon fans, so household rivalries are fun to us :)

Seth (GO VOLS!) said...

Sweetheart- please don't be mad at me too long after Tennessee wins. I KNOW you love Rocky Top and you'll eventually be singing it with all the people celebrating the victory. GO VOLS!

wife.mom.nurse said...

You guys are funny.

Danger ahead!

Seth said...

By the way... we ALMOST won... You thought we were going to... Just remember when things seem impossible, that if Tennessee almost beat you all this year, ANYTHING can happen!