Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday Flashback: Game Gone Wrong

The year was 1993. My boyfriend came from the University of Tennessee with several of his friends to watch the football game at the University of Alabama. I had a whole group of friends from Tennessee there to watch the game. I didn't watch it with them. I watched it in the Alabama student section with my college friends. I was thrilled to have so many friends in town. I couldn't imagine how I was going hang out with them after the game, though.

The Game-
With 1:54, Alabama was down 17 to 9. The quarterback drove down. And then on the last play of the game, Alabama scored. With no time left, Alabama went for 2 points. "David Palmer (Duece) took the direct snap from the center and ran around the right side and scored..." (That's a quote from my husband.)

I was thrilled with a tie. My boyfriend wasn't. In fact, my boyfriend is now my husband. The rest of the quote from above was "and that was the worse night of my life." He's being a bit dramatic. But, for him, it was literally traumatic.

I was thrilled. I could get all of my friends together. No one lost. No one was happy. (Ok, ok, my husband insists that the Alabama crowd was happy. We were happy that we didn't loose.) But at least, we could all hang out. We went out for pizza. I have lots of fun pictures from that night.

Here's my husband and I (in 1993) after the game. He smiled for the 1st picture (how did I make him do that?) but he shows his real feelings in the 2nd photo.



Some comments about the photos (because I can't resist):
Check out my lovely perm.
Don't you adore my shoes?
How old does my boyfriend look??
He was 19 and I was 20.

THANKFULLY, NCAA started implementing overtime. No, no, noooo... there will be NO TIES during tomorrow's game!


I'm linking up with Alicia today at
More Than Words. Join in the fun with her Friday Flashback meme.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that night! Fun times! Love the picture. I can just picture us all 19 again, huh?? Thanks for the walk down memory lane and you guys have a WONDERFUL time tomorrow cheering on the SEC. Roll Tide :)

~Maggie

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

I love the perm!!!
Does Seth have purple shoes???

jules said...

So fun! I love the perm, I had the same look......

He & Me + 3 said...

I had that same hair. I know the game will be a good one tomorrow for you all. Have fun rooting your teams on:)
Your boyfriend looks about 14 LOL
Love this post. Good sportsman ship tomorrow...remind your hubs. :)

annies home said...

what a picture and yes I do remember those hair styles and clothes

Macey said...

Looking at your pictures takes me right back to highschool. That was the style! Love it and the pictures are CUTE!

A Lady Called Amy said...

CuTe!! You're boyfriend looks like he's 16 in the pic. you don't look much older though. And I like your permy hair, you pulled it off well. :-) I would have been happy with a tie too!

More Than Words said...

Oh man! What a way to come back!!!!!

You guys look soooo young, and what a great looking couple you two are!!

RLR said...

Thanks for sharing your photos and the story! I always wanted a pair of shoes like those, but never had them....

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

Man- We all had that Ogilvie Home Perm action going on!!!

Sorry that you didn't win...there is always November!!!

Erin said...

Okay, your perm looks shiny, shiny, shiny. I didn't notice your shoes and I did think your husband looked super young... Overall, however, I think the tie worked out pretty well for you. Hopefully tomorrow will be okay, too.

Seth said...

I changed my mind... the 1993 game is no longer the worst night of my life.

Jessica said...

Love the perm!! You look just the same. Seth looks a bit older. :)

Foursons said...

I had a perm exactly like that!

Kimberly said...

Savanah walked up while I was scrolling thru your blog checking out the posts I'd yet to read. When she saw these pictures she had a couple of things to say, starting with - "who are those people?" When I laughingly told her that it was Uncle Seth and Auntie Jane Anne, her next question was - "Is she wearing a wig?" So now I'm laughing even harder and scrolling down to the bottom to leave you a comment and the girl wonder who speed reads asks - "Auntie Jane Anne is older than Uncle Seth?" She then ends her moment of hilarity by stating with much aplomb - "Uncle Seth looks WAY older than Auntie Jane Anne!"