Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Words

I spent last night thinking about the power of words.

I was challenged yesterday by a statement that my blog had become boring. That word grabbed my attention. It also made me think about my words here on my space of the internet. I could not stop thinking about the reason I blog. Why I am writing? What is the purpose of my blog? Am I trying to inspire others? Is this a simple recording of my thoughts?

I started my blog simply because I wanted a place to write. I wanted a creative outlet. When I began blogging, I was a stay at home mom with a deployed husband. I wanted a space that was all my own. I desperately needed a spot of space without sticky hand prints. My blog was a place for me to write anything and everything, just whatever I felt like writing.

The blog world has turned out to be distracting and addicting for me. I did not imagine the blog friends that I would make. I had no idea there was a blog community.

I have made numerous blog friends. I am blessed by a tremendous allergy community that I didn't know existed. Bloggers have encouraged my quests to develop spiritually and as a mom. I have also enjoyed the carnival side of blogging. I have participated in different memes. They are fun and it is fun "meeting" other bloggers that way.

I am in a much different place than I was when I started blogging. In many ways, I am more mature. In other ways, I am a like a teenager looking for her friends at a party. Years ago, I didn't know there was a party.

Words are powerful. With one word, I can discourage or uplift another person. One word can make my 3rd son pull out his fists in aggression. One word can make the same boy run to me with his arms open wide for a hug. One word can make tears spring into my 2nd son's eyes. Words can also make his face light up brilliantly like 4th of July fireworks. Words are powerful. My attitude can be affected by the affirmation of others or the lack thereof.

For better or worse, the comment about my blog being boring is making me think about my words. I will never strive to inspire others. I do aspire to be real. I want to be authentic.

My words are a glimpse of me.

Sometimes I am boring. Sometimes I am goofy. Sometimes I am thoughtless. Sometimes I am unique. Sometimes I am a face in the crowd.

My words, my blog, reflects all of that.

I do not have a problem with being boring, goofy, without depth, unique, or status quo. I am all of that so I know it will be part of what I write. I want my words to reflect more than me. I want my words to be pleasing to the One that I strive to follow. I want my words to be pleasing to the One that gave me my variety of personality traits. I want my words, my blog, to be pleasing to my God.

I consider God my rock and redeemer. (See Psalm 19:14) I run to Him for comfort and affirmation. No amount of comments or lack thereof can change where my happiness is to come from. A powerful comment from an esteemed blogger or a thought-provoking comment from an anonymous commenter will not build or shake my confidence.

The anonymous comment prodded me to think this through. I came away with something that I can use in blog world and in day-to-day life with face-to-face encounters with friends and people in my community.

My confidence does not come from my blog (the stats from statcounter or my comments). My confidence does not come from how well I am received by others. My confidence comes from God (See Jeremiah 17:7). To that end, I am trusting in God. I am praying that my words, here on my blog, in my emails, and straight from my mouth, will reflect more of God than me.

I am praying that my words will be more of God than me.

I am not sure how or if this will change my blog. I am often thoughtful in real life but I am also a mess cleaning, preschool song singing mom that longs to have a little fun. I know my blog will reflect all of this.

Words are powerful. I am thankful for the words that made me think this through. I am praying Psalm 19:14 today.

Psalm 19:14
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."

17 comments:

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Amen! What a beautiful post!

Psalm 19:14
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."

I agree completely! This is the cry of my heart as well, both in my day to day life and the blog world. Thank you for that great reminder!

And for what it's worth...I don't think you're boring at all!

Beth E. said...

You know what? I don't allow anonymous comments on my blog. Anonymous comments can be be disabled in your settings.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Alicia beat me to the scripture I was gonna quote! ;-)

You are a blessing and an inspiration to so many of us! I always look forward to reading your posts.

God has given you an amazing gift with your writing...you express yourself beautifully! Don't concern yourself with any negative comments...especially if the people who write them don't put their name to them!

Hugs,
Beth

everydayMOM said...

Wow! If someone is going to be so rude to leave a comment like that then they should have enough courage to do it under their name. That was really annoying!

I agree with you completely about the power of words. You do a great job choosing them wisely. I think it's better to risk being a little boring once in a while than to try to be funny or sarcastic at the risk of bringing others down.

Macey said...

I can't quote scripture because I don't have any of it memorized, but I DO know this: anonymous commenters are usually bad. The only time we ever see an anonymous comment is when it's something bad. Why do they do that? Oh yeah, cuz they don't have the guts, even in cyber space. You keep on keepin' on. Your blog is very thought provoking.

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

You boring??? No, No, No! Keep on writing, I'm always reading and you do inspire me! I love the laughs of Friday Flashback too!
-Jill

He & Me + 3 said...

Jane anne,

Your blog is far from boring my friend. You are one of the sweetest bloggers & you always have inspirational posts. I love your heart. God is so good to turn something that was meant to discourage into a soul searching beautiful post & lesson. thank you so much for sharing. so true about the power of our words...spoken or in print.
Hugs,
Mimi

Unknown said...

What a great post! I love your blog and look forward to it everyday. You inspire me in so many ways. Much love.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is you. And I love keeping in touch with you through the blog world. I like the inspiring, goofy, thought provoking, kid updates, all of it.
I like the words you use to express yourself.
Sharon

TheFitHousewife said...

I have only recently started following your blog and I don't find it boring. I love reading blogs where people are just themselves, writing about what makes THEM happy, not what makes OTHERS happy!

I often think my blog may be boring, but then I think, if someone thinks it is then DON'T READ IT! And who leaves a comment like that??? The nerve.

Missy said...

What a wonderful post. I too do not find your blog boring; most times, I find it inspirational and you definitely make me think at times.

We do only have one person to answer to and who cares what anyone else thinks?

Foursons said...

Wow...I just went back and read your comments from yesterday. What?! Why leave a comment like that. If you're not happy just click the red box with the white "x". Don't get it. But I am glad you learned such a powerful lesson from that one stupid comment.

Acutescrubnurse said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I'm a little in shock that someone said your blog was boring....that seems odd to me that anyone would say that!! People are so very weird!!
Hope all is well and you're having a great week!!
Rita

McCrakensx4 said...

You speak the turth Jane Anne and you turned a negative into a postive and a wonderful post! YOu have noone to answer too exept you and God when you blog. This is your space and we come to hear you and your words. Your posts are far from boring, you are an inspriation...you make me laugh, cry, think and so many other things! Please please please...don't let that comment get you down!

Carrie said...

Why would anyone even bother to leave a comment that your blog is boring...why are they reading it then? I agree with the others,though, it made for a great reminder that words really affect us. And amazing how blogging can become so much more for us :) I"ve met some wonderful ladies, and have found so much inspiration through your blog too! It can definitely be a great support system...too bad some people have to violate that. Besides all that...I love seeing your kiddos super cute pics too!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Jane Anne, your blog is not boring. Sometimes I think people just troll around the blogosphere and leave ratty old comments to set people off. I love your blog. And I probably love your blog because it's exactly like mine. I started mine for the very same reason and keep it going for the very same reasons. I used to be obsessed with blogging and had to have a new and exciting post every day. Now I've gone back to basics and just write about and for the very things I started this blog for. Our family, our lives and the things that fill our lives up...with a smattering of food allergy info thrown in.
You are a wonderful and sweet blogger who is far from boring. I enjoy reading your posts and find them to be inspirational and uplifting.

Trisha said...

Are you sure someone's not playing a joke on you? A nasty one at that? Because that couldn't be farther from the truth. Sorry people can be so lame. Hugs to you!

Kaleena said...

What a beautiful and well written post! I don't think that anyone who is capable of writing such words could ever be considered boring at all!