Monday, February 09, 2009

Monday Moment

It's somewhat late on Monday night and I want to share something with you.

Be sure to note that the bottom of the socks that were inside the shoes are black with mud.



Two weeks ago in my Thursday Thanks Tank, I was thankful for muddy shoes. Tonight, when my son walked in, I grimaced, held my breath, and clenched my teeth. Oh, those thankful thoughts were not there.

If you look back at the photo- and look carefully- you might notice a Nike symbol. My husband and I accidentally paid too much for my son's shoes. (Long story... goes something like this: My 3 year-old has to wear Double E shoes [extra wide] so when we were shopping for his shoes we grabbed some for my 7 year-old.) It was not a wise decision. Let me tell you why.

My 7 year-old was a bit confused by my reaction to his muddy shoes tonight (since it was almost the opposite reaction from 2 weeks ago). I told him, "These are your GOOD shoes." To which he said, "No, they are not. I like my white ones better." The white ones were $15 at Wal-mart.

A few minutes later at dinner my son said, "Mom, I am all boy, right?"
Oh, how my words come back to haunt me!

That was my Monday moment. It was a moment of self-reflection. Two situations that were exactly the same and my reaction was totally different. It was a moment of self-assessment: just because I am really picky about my shoes and my 3rd son has serious shoe needs, not everyone needs nice shoes. I think cheap shoes might work just dandy for my 7 year-old!

I cannot stop thinking..."Two weeks ago, I was thankful for these muddy shoes!??!"

13 comments:

More Than Words said...

Where did he go walking?? In a pile of mud? LOL

And how in the world did the socks get muddy too???

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Well, he is darn lucky to have you for a mom!! I am not sure I would react that way, but it is a good lesson for us all. My son has a pair of Pumas I spent good money on, but doesn't like to wear them because "They are hard to tie." He'd rather wear the $20 pair. Go figure.

Beth E. said...

yWow...those are impressive! Tell your son that, yes, he is definitely ALL BOY! Haha

Inquiring minds want to know...HOW did he get that mud INSIDE his shoes?

It's hard for kids to understand the concept of "good" shoes and "play" shoes. We went through similar situations when our boys were little.

Trisha said...

Man, somebody had some fun!

Hayes will usually walk around puddles because I have drilled it into his brain. Sometimes I wish I would just let him be a little boy.

sarah said...

I am dreading those days!! Those shoes look HUGE-what size does he wear?

samantha said...

LOL I would like to hear if those socks actually come clean or not.

He & Me + 3 said...

Gotta love those boys...if there is a puddle or some mud...they will find it. Stunt Man thinks it is his job to jump in every puddle or mess. Looks like you need to Shout out those stain socks. LOL

dani said...

That is a MESS! What a good mama you are.....just keep thinking thankful thoughts...or...uh...trying to : )

I came across your blog from The Mother Letters Project blog. I know this is silly...but my daughter is in the Leelou Blogs cute baby photo contest and I am trying to spread the word for people to vote for her!! I need HUNDREDS of votes for her to even come close to catching up to the front-runners. I have been trying to figure out where to find hundreds of people, and I didn't think it was approriate to ask Seth to post something so silly on The Mother Letters Blog (obviously), but I figured maybe all the people who helped with the project would be willing to go give my little Makenzie from AZ a vote : ) If not, that's ok too. I am just trying to get creative and reach more people! If you'd like to help me by voting for Makenzie, please go to http://www.leeloublogs.blogspot.com/ and spread the word for others to vote as well : )

EVEN MORE IMPORTANTLY THOUGH...I am also recruiting prayer warriors for a tiny little miracle baby named Kayleigh Freeman, maybe you've heard of her and are already praying for her. It was through her blog that I heard about the contest in the first place. Even if you don't take the time to vote for Makenzie, please take a minute to visit HER website: http://www.kayleighannefreeman.blogspot.com/ and say a prayer for this sweet girl!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!!!

Sincerely,
Daniele Brown

PS- THE MOTHER LETTERS PROJECT is in NO WAY associated with this request other than the fact that I found your blog there!!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. I know about boys & shoes :o) We have had our own issues over the years. I think we all have our mother moments. I know I have had my fair share!

Take care my friend!
I hope today is better!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I like you, Jane Anne. I spent some time on your site today, reading not only about your first date, but also about the "why" behind your blog title. (The latter is something that I have long wondered about.)

You are one super Mom. Two boys, a baby, and a husband on tour in Iraq. Seriously, I don't know how you made it through. Someday, when I have "time" I am planning to read more about your journey.

I'll say it again, I like you, Jane Anne. We're following. Look, that is us, in your sidebar.

-Francesca

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

I am cracking up over here. Looks like my husbands boots after a day pouring concrete. By the way, we have similiar tile. I have 20 inch squares though.

Seth said...

Fransesca- You're right- she IS a super-mom, just ask her boys. To update though- its THREE boys and a baby; and the husband (moi') is back from Iraq and enjoying life as a too-busy civilian.

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Perspective, perspective, perspective...the same thing happens to me sometimes.