Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Tasty Tuesday: Blueberry Orange Muffins

I got this recipe from a cookbook my Washington MOPS group put together. Let me just tell you, these muffins were DE-LI-CIOUS. Oh my goodness, I could not stop eating them. I made them with fresh blueberries. (I have not tried them with frozen.) I added the cinnamon sugar topping to about half. They were wonderful both with and without the topping (definitely try out the cinnamon sugar topping!).

Blueberry Orange Muffins

Recipe Note: This muffin recipe was made at a tavern in Williamsburg, VA that George and Martha Washington used to frequent.

3 cups sifted flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups fresh blueberries (frozen can be used)
1 T. grated orange peel
1/2 cup + 4 tsp orange juice
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Mix well; add blueberries, tossing lightly till coated. Beat together remaining ingredients. Add to dry ingredients just till dry ingredients are moistened. Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 cup full (or can make 1 large loaf). Bake 20 minutes at 425 degrees or bake loaf at 350 degrees for 1 hour 10 minutes. If desired, remove muffins from pan while still warm and dip tops in melted butter, then in mixture of 1 cup sugar + 2 tsp cinnamon.

12 comments:

Trisha said...

I am so trying these soon! They sound delicious. Thanks!

RLR said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I'm on a mission to find 'scratch' recipes for my family (for both general health and allergen avoidance!), and my kids LOVE blueberries, so this is definitely one we will try.

Anonymous said...

Thanks JA!!! I can't wait to try them out :)

~Maggie

He & Me + 3 said...

When you first mentioned them, they did not sound that good because I thought they had real orange pieces in them, but only orange juice...Yum...I am sure they are moist too. My kids love muffins...May have to try these too!

Anonymous said...

I thought anything dipped in melted butter and rolled in sugar and cinnamon must be pretty good. They were incredible!

More Than Words said...

Oh my goodness! This sounds so good! Thanks for posting it! I'm going to make them for my family! My family loves blueberries!!

Carmom said...

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to make these for the next MOPS brunch.

McCrakensx4 said...

OOHHH sounds so yummy! I love your tasty Tuesdays, they always make me so hungry! Gonna have to try it out..we heart muffins at this house!

House of Jules said...

So excited to try these! Thanks, JA!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

I've got something for you over at my site. Swing by when you get a chance...

cbogie said...

Looks yummy! About how many muffins does this make?

RLR said...

We just finished making these - well, actually, we just finished tasting these. You are right, Jane Anne, they are DE-LI-CIOUS!

cbogie - it makes 24 muffins (and takes a BIG mixing bowl)

I used about 2T butter and 1/4c sugar + 1/2t cinnamon to cover almost all of the muffins (18 or 19 of them).