Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Try-It-Out Tuesday

We tried this recipe out this past week. It made the house smell incredible! I have to be honest, though, when I looked at it as it was cooking, I thought, "There is no way my kids will eat this." They were hesitant. There was little bit of complaining. And then, they all ate it and liked it. One of the boys even asked for a second bowl! My kids and I ate it with cheddar cheese on top. My hubby (who came home late) ate it with ketchup and mustard. It is not an impressive looking meal but it does taste good.

Cowboy Casserole
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
6 medium potatoes, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 16 oz cans kidney beans
15 oz can diced tomatoes mixed with 2 Tbsp flour
(I substituted petite diced tomatoes. I also think that it would be even better if you used 2 cans.)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

1. Layer onions, ground beef, potatoes, garlic, and beans in slow cooker.
2. Spead tomatoes or soup over all. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Cover. Cook on low 5-6 hours, or until potatoes are tender.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Yum, another great recipe! I will have to try it!

Carmom said...

I have another recipe you might like. It's called Santa Fe Soup. And the great thing about it is that you can freeze half of it for another meal. All the kids like it, too. I will have to be sure to try yours because it is different from mine. Check out my blog for the recipe.

Kimberly said...

This looks pretty yummy. And different than what we normally eat which is really nice when you are looking for a change. We'll have to try it out soon! Plus you just can't beat crock pot recipes in this heat!