Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tasty Tuesday: Blueberry Coffee Cake

I got a bunch (almost 3 lbs) of blueberries from Costco this past weekend. My family has been in blueberry heaven. Yesterday I tried out this blueberry coffee cake. It is wonderful- very, very moist.

BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE

CAKE INGREDIENTS:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 375. Grease a 13x9 inch pan. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon peel. Using pastry blender or fork, cut in butter. Add milk, eggs and vanilla. Stir well. Pour 3/4 batter into greased pan.
Top with blueberries. Spoon remaining batter over blueberries. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. Blend icing ingredients. Drizzle over cake.

Icing:
Melt 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of butter in a saucepan or microwave.
Sift 2 cups of powdered sugar into a medium size bowl.
Add the melted butter to the powdered sugar.
Add 2 tablespoons of milk.
If desired, add 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract or 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla for flavor.
Beat until smooth and creamy, adding a little more milk if necessary.
Drizzle over a cooled cake.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Sounds yummy. I might have to try this for breakfast on Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Made this cake this morning - got rave reviews from the family!! One question - how do you not eat it all? It's taking lots of self control.
Sharon

sarah said...

Yum!! I tried this for brunch with my family that is in town and it was a hit!!

Jane Anne said...

I am so glad that you tried out the recipe and enjoyed it as much as we did! BTW, the recipe actually had a different icing - with almond extract but I just don't use that. So I found the other glaze. Let me know if you want the original icing recipe.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I would like the other icing recipe. Although, it was such a huge hit, I'll probably get in trouble if I change it.
Sharon