Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

This is one of my favorite pictures from my husband's unit when they were deployed to Iraq.

My husband was in the Army for 10 years. This is the 1st year post Army that we have celebrated July 4th. I cannot stop thinking about the soldiers that are deployed. I keep thinking about the families that are missing their soldier and proudly celebrating our country. I keep thinking about my husband's service in the Army and his time in Iraq. I found myself looking back through pictures of his deployment. That seems like a life time ago. And yet, the feelings from that time still occupy a part of my heart.
I am thankful for our men and women in the armed forces. I know many have sufferred for their service. I know many many families much feel a mix of sorrow and pride during patriotic holidays. I am thankful for our country. I am thankful for everyone that serves - both the service men and women and their families.


Perhaps the best way to honor our July 4th holiday is to take a little time and thank God for our country and our service men and women. Celebrate and enjoy family time! Then, thank God and pray for the soldiers and their families.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Thank you, Seth, for serving our country with honor. Thank you for your sacrifices, for leaving your family behind for months at a time to take care of and ensure the freedoms we take for granted so often.

Thank you, Jane Anne, too, for your sacrifices and for standing bravely while Seth was deployed.

I couldn't help but get big tears in my eyes as I looked at the pictures of you and the boys when Seth got home.

I thought of how precious it had to have been to welcome him home, but bittersweet in knowing others weren't able to do the same. Praying in thanksgiving for you and for those whose family member never got home.

Thanks for this reminder, Jane Anne. Sure appreciate you. : )