Friday, October 01, 2010

Me Oh My, Chicken Pot Pie!


I made a Chicken Potpie last night. My 5 year old called it "Chicken Popeye." I'd never made a chicken potpie before. It was pretty simple and very tasty! (Not healthy but it weighs in quite high on the comfort food scale.)


Comforting Chicken Potpie

1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups water
2/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables

PASTRY
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons celery seed
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
1/3 cup cold butter or margarine

Prepared the cooked chicken. You can use leftover chicken. I boiled my chicken with chicken broth (using chicken bouillon cubes and water).

In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in water, milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in chicken and vegetables; set aside.

For pastry, combine flour and celery seed in a bowl. (I thought I had celery seed but I didn't. So, I used one tsp of celery salt and one tsp of cumin seed.) Cut in cream cheese and butter until crumbly. Work mixture by hand until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll two-thirds of dough into a 12 in square. Transfer to an 8 in square baking dish.

Pour filling into the crust. Roll remaining dough into a 9 in square; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.


Stop by Ann Kroeker's Food on Friday for more food related posts and recipes.

1 comment:

Beth E. said...

That looks absolutely delish! I'm gonna try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!