Saturday, October 09, 2010

A slice of life (Where's my mop?)

Alternately Titled: Crap!


This morning, my 2nd child slipped into bed with me at 6 a.m. He proceeded to pepper me with questions off and on, as I slipped in and out of sleep, until 7 a.m. when his brothers came downstairs.

They were full of energy but I was not.

I was relieved that my 3rd son was busily wrestling with his brothers. The night before he had a fever of 100. He was all arms and legs and jumping on his 9 year old brother. And, he really wanted to play soccer in the rain.

It was pouring rain.

My daughter has been sick. I woke her up at 9. She was so congested and it hurt to talk. She refuses to clear her throat or cough because it hurts. It didn't take much to convince her brothers to get busy trying to make her laugh. Laughter clears a throat just as much as coughing.

At 9:30 I decided to call my neighbor. She was an angel to me. She took my little girl so she wouldn't have to sit in the rain watching soccer games.

At 10:30 my 3rd son started playing.
Sometime after 11, a friend arrived at the field to take my oldest to his game, which was in a neighboring town at the same time as my 2nd son's game.
At 11:30, my 3rd son's game ended. The person that was supposed to bring the snack didn't show for the game. My boys were hungry.

I realized I hadn't fed my oldest lunch or provided a lunch for him.

I ran home for some dry clothes for my 3rd son because he was coughing a lot and I figured getting him warm and dry would be best. We also stopped by McDonalds.
We were almost at the field when I proudly told my 2nd son that he was going to be early enough to warm up before the game. It was only 12:15 and he was going to have 15 minutes before his game.
We pulled up to see that the game was well under way and we had missed most of the 1st quarter. Somehow, even though I had it written correctly on the calendar at home, I had the wrong time in my head. The game started at noon.

We weren't early. We were really late.

I was not having a good soccer mom day.


After soccer, I rushed home to watch Bama play football.
#1 ranked Alabama lost.

It was not a good football day.

I ordered pizza.

By the time dinner was over, my daughter was a mess of a little girl. By mess, I mean, she had a runny nose, was coughing and was easily agitated with most everything. She had been fussy all afternoon- not a good combo when you are watching your team loose. I told her she was getting a bath and getting her PJs on. She did not balk at the suggestion. So, I got her ready for her bath. I took off all her clothes and said we were going upstairs. And then, for some reason, I decided to clear the table before I took her to the bath. This was not a smart move.

She pooped on the kitchen floor.

I snapped a picture of her to send to her Daddy. Oh yes, I did.
And the caption said, "This sums up my day."


Oh it was funny. It was really funny. The boys ran around turning on all of the fans they could find - all 3 bathroom fans and the laundry fan- as if that would help with the smell. My oldest started talking about how when we had dogs they pooped on the floor once.

It would have just been funny if it had ended there. It was pee-in-your-pants funny - only without the pants.

Right when I got her in the bathroom, she peed all over the floor.

Then she said what she normally says when we "race" up the stairs:
"I win. You loose."

Oh, sweet girl, that has never been more true.


*Just laugh. You have to laugh.*

15 comments:

Salty Mom said...

Hang in there Janie! You need one of those t-shirts like the navy seals that says I do more in one day then most people do all week! Glad you still have your sense of humor and I think it is so funny you actually stopped to take a picture of the poop!

Mysti said...

Here's to having a MUCH better day today. We have all had those days that you can't win for losing. Just making it through the day is a huge accomplishment!!!

McCrakensx4 said...

Oh Jane Anne...here is to a much better day today sister. I hate it when I have the wrong time in my head and think that I have all the time in the world. You are a strong woman...laughter is the best medicine even when it seems wrong. ((hugs))

sharon said...

It takes days like this to help you realize how good a good day is. Actually you don't seem to need that reminder. You do pretty well with noticing the good days. The thing that struck me the most in your story was how God has blessed you with people to make this situation work. You are blessed with friends who are helping you and your kids. That stands out to me. I also love the thinking your early and your really late - I got to a piano recital once thinking we were on time and it was just ending! And oh does the poop and pee story bring back memories. I actually have one of mine on video tape - didn't have to grab the camera because I was already filming. Oh, the memories. Hang in there. Hang onto God. He is bringing you through and blessing you even on days like this one.

Hanna said...

HI There!! I am your newest follower from the blog hop! I think it's an old linky so I'm extremely late but here none the less;) I love finding new blogs and your is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

What a day! Yep, you just have to laugh. :)

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Yes, you do have to laugh ;)

Praying today is a much better day!

Mimi said...

Ugh, what a day! I hope today is better!

Hugs & love,
Mimi

Foursons said...

Oh my goodness, you had a day from h-e-double hockey sticks. And what can you do but laugh when it ends like that? Hang in there, things are bound to get better.

He & Me + 3 said...

Jane anne, you just summed up my life in one post only without sickness...but the you lose part. LOL Same days and weeks are just like that. I was having such a good week last week until Wednesday. Ugh. Down hill.
Miss hearing from you miss being in blog land. I am busy my friend and I am missing my blog friends alot.

Beth E. said...

Bless your heart! Bless your little ones' hearts, too! My goodness...wish I lived closer so I could help you out. Well, with everything but the poop! ;-)

Praying for better days ahead for you, and praying for good health for everyone.

Hugs...

Honey said...

I agree...not a good football day for us either, but sort of worse for you because we didn't have many expectations to beging with....I so feel your pain/laughter ....I did what you are doing for 8 years w/three kids...it's tough, but the good thing is you can vent through this blog and you can laugh...this too shall pass...wish I was close enough to help...Patti B.

Anonymous said...

Wow, busy busy busy. Hope you take time out for yourself.

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

Oh my...that is one heck of a day!!

and I will admit (although I am somewhat ashamed) I giggled as I read it, giggled as only a mother who has also cleaned poop off the floor (and carpet, and wall) could giggle.

Hope today was a better (and much less icky) day for you!!

sharon said...

I wish there was a place to comment on your book reviews. Loved the comparison to chewing gum! You probably aren't into reading young adult fiction, but I do this now in an effort to find good books for my girls to read. Just read Flipped. Very cute. It's about a boy and girl from 2nd grade to 8th grade and how they see each other. Each chapter alternates perspective. It was cute and had some good insight. I am coming from the perspective of what an 11 year old girl would read or think.