Saturday, October 30, 2010

This is My Life

I was making biscuits this morning, casually looking out the window from time to time thinking about the cool, rainy day.

It would be such a nice day to sit in a coffee shop sipping on a latte with a good book in-hand.

The music in the background made me long for the serenity of a peaceful place. The noise of my kids laughing and talking kept me present in my world.

And then, I recognized discontentment.

If I were at the coffee shop, I might be looking around at the people there wishing I were with a really good friend.

If I were at a coffee shop with my best friend, we'd probably be dreaming of the day when we could take a trip together.

If were were taking a trip together, we'd probably be talking about the next, even better trip.

So, I prayed:
"Lord, let me be satisfied with the now. Let me be satisfied with the life I have. Let me be satisfied with today. Lord, satisfy me and the longings of my heart in a way that nothing else can."

I will take the biscuits from my oven.


I will take the raining dreary day.


I will take a backyard with overgrown grass strewn with toys.


I will take these happy, boisterous video game playing boys.



I will take a sweet girl with crazy bed head hair.


I will even take the cobwebs.


This is my life. I'm going to pour myself another cup of coffee and enjoy it.

5 comments:

Deciduous Heather said...

I really loved this post. Thanks for the gentle reminder that I need to cherish today. :)

Beth E. said...

Beautiful post, Jane Anne! We all have a tendency to wish for more, instead of being satisfied with the many blessings we already have.

Hop over to my blog...I've just announced the winners of my giveaway!

Hugs...

Carmom said...

Thank you! This is something that I often need to remember! There are so many things in the here and now that should be cherished!

sharon said...

What a great reminder to be content with the life and circumstances we are given. God is good. His blessings are enough.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Amen! I so struggle with contentment. But it's important to know that God has us right where we are for a reason. Thanks for that reminder today!