Sunday, September 13, 2009

Told Not To Risk It

I just wrote the following comment on a local restaurant's website.

Comments: I called the location to ask about your ingredients. Since your website brags about the pride you take in your ingredients, I was very surprised by the response I got. My son has a peanut allergy. I called to find out if your pizzas, sauce or other ingredients, contain peanuts or peanut ingredients. Although the man that answered the phone was not rude, I was surprised by his attitude. He put me on hold to ask the manager about the ingredients. He then told me that the manager said that he's "not really sure" and "you shouldn't risk it because you are better off being safe than sorry." I asked if they could check the labels and I was told that "the ingredients come in boxes. The boxes are unwrapped and the labels go right in the trash. I'm sorry." I don't expect that your restaurant would be safe for my son. However, I wanted to let you know that the employee that answered the phone and the manager did not have an attitude that expressed what your website states: "All of us at (local restaurant) take great pride in our ingredients." I was disappointed in the attitude I received.

I was surprised by the reaction I got from the staff at the restaurant. We were invited to a birthday party there. That's why I was checking about the ingredients. I suppose we will eat before we go to the birthday party.

Here's the thing- I would be happier right now if the staff had cared, checked on the food, and told me the food was not safe. It is the attitude that irritated me.

*sigh*

We don't eat out much. For all I know, this might be a normal reaction from a restaurant. It's a poor one. But, I imagine I might be surprised to find many restaurants would react a similar way.

10 comments:

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Wow, never had a reaction like that. So glad you took the time to let them know.

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

what a disappointing response. I am curious if they respond to your comment or if they make any changes because of it. Considering what they state on their site you think they would have their information more available.

Me said...

i know exactly what you mean. I recently flew with US air, and I was confused as to whether or not they served peanuts on board. Our travel agent said no, but their website showed the things they offer as snacks, and peanuts and nuts were one of them. I asked the check-in agent, just to be sure, and she says "oh, I don't know...probably not". Well, "probably not" is not good enough for me. And her attitude about it totally stunk.

He & Me + 3 said...

Oh that is too bad. We went to Chili's a while ago and the manager bent over backwards to check the ingredients and call around to make sure that the things on the menu were safe for our girls. It was an awesome experience. Sorry yours was not so great.

McCrakensx4 said...

That is just aweful...I have experienced the lack of costumer service lately...growing up I don't remember such rudeness...sorry you had such a crappy experience.

Carrie said...

That's really too bad :( It's sad to think lots of places probably get away with such 'false' advertising! Wonder if they really know what there ingredients are at all...let alone what's in them! Glad he could still go to the party :)

Foursons said...

That's such a hard allergy to have. I can't imagine what y'all go through.

Unknown said...

We were told at a restaurant recently to "eat at your own risk". Yeah, okay. But there are lots of times that we have really good experiences.

Beth E. said...

It has been my experience, when I've sent emails to companies, that those companies do not respond. I usually wait a couple of days and then follow up with a phone call.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

My brother has problems in restaurants because of his high blood pressure. The sodium level of restaurant foods is staggering. There are very few places that are willing to accommodate patrons with various health/allergy issues.

Please keep us posted about this!

Amy Jo said...

I, too, would like to know if they actually respond to you. My inclination is to say they won't, which sucks. Attitude can make such a huge difference in interactions with people.