Monday, September 07, 2009

Just Hold Me

My little girl will be 2 in November. The other night when I went to put her in bed, we headed for the rocking chair and I was shocked to find that she wanted me to rock her. I needed to get her in bed sort of quickly because it was getting late, it was a school night and my boys were waiting for me downstairs. It was my 2nd son's birthday. I put her in her crib and she started crying.

This was unusual behavior for her. Normally, I try to rock her and she wants to get in bed. She will point to her bed as I am trying to rock her. If I say, "Do you want to get in bed?" She will nod her head up and down to say yes. I have tried all sorts of things - singing to her and reading books. She enjoys me reading books but she doesn't settle in and snuggle. She is not much of a cuddler. She wants her blanket and pacifier and then she wants to go to bed.

I went out of the room and told the boys to carry on without me. Then, I gave my little girl some extra attention.

I savor the moments when my kids are in my lap, relaxed and peaceful. I love being with them. I love wrapping them up in my arms and holding them close.

Sometimes, my daughter's independence saddens me. She wants her "paci" and "blankie" and space. I give her what she needs. I provide for her. But, I love to hold her.

Often, I am not all that different than my two year old.

I approach my days with my faith but I just grab what I think I need to make it. I go about my activities praying here and there. I may grab an encouraging word - reading a few Bible verses or even writing them down. God provides for me. He is there with me and I can turn to him when necessary.

It is just that too often, I don't sit with him.

I need to draw to close to God. I need to rest with him. I need to walk in his open arms and let him hold me.

I need to be still. I need to know he is God.

Psalm 46:10 - Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in all the earth.

This is always true. It is especially powerful for me to remember during this busy season when school and activities are starting up.

15 comments:

John and Carrie said...

This is my new favorite post of yours!! I love what you wrote. Sarah used to be the same way--not much into holding and cuddling like Matt did at 1 yr. But this year (as a 2 yr old) she loves it. I'm treasuring it b/c it used to make me so sad that as a baby and a 1 yr old she didn't like being held a lot. Now, as a 2 yr old she loves it.
But, more importantly, I love your analogy. That is my favorite verse.

Trisha said...

so true. i love holding my babies too. seems to be only when they don't feel so good now. :) great post!

Anonymous said...

there is no better feeling in the world than holding your child or grandchild...aren't we blessed to be a Mom....thanks Jane Anne, it is so awesome to think of GOD holding and nurturing us! patti b.

Mimi said...

My favorite verse that I all too often forget.

He & Me + 3 said...

Why is being still so hard? What a sweet moment with your daughter. I hope that you have many more before she gets too big. I miss those rocking chair moments already.

Beth E. said...

What a great analogy! You are so right.

What a comfort it is to know that God is right there for us. WE just have to make time for him!

Thanks for a great post, Jane Anne!

Blessings,
Beth

McCrakensx4 said...

What an AWESEOME post Jane Anne...great reminder of what I need to do on a daily basis...Thanks...and one of my favorite verses!

Macey said...

You really make me think, can you smell the smoke coming out of my ears?? : )
I love, love holding my babies. They don't let me much anymore.

momstheword said...

Oh I am so glad you took that time to rock her. I would love to rock my babies again, and now they're taller than me!

Your hubby is funny, btw!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

I can't believe Elsie is almost 2! Don't forget to take her second wedding dress picture. :)

wife.mom.nurse said...

I love that Psalm.

(and I love snuggly babies. My little girl was not very snuggly either.)

Unknown said...

Wonderful post JJ. And you and David are in my thoughts and prayers today as David heads to kindergarten. Much love.

Avery's Mommy said...

Very true...inspiring!

sarah said...

So true! I am often amazed how being a parent opens our eyes to just how deep and true God's love for us is!

Cristi said...

Beautiful post that made me think about the love of God. Thanks.