Monday, September 21, 2009

Sarah


My niece, Sarah, is having surgery today at Johns Hopkins Children's Hospital to fix a cleft (hole) in her airway. The hope is that this surgery will allow her to be able to drink liquids without aspirating.

She has to to be at the hospital at 1pm. The surgery will start at 3pm and take 2 hours. She will then be admitted to the intensive care unit. She will be in the hospital for 2-3 days depending on how things go.

Sarah had a procedure (a laryngoscopy and bronchoscopy) done last Monday that discovered the "laryngeal cleft" (or hole in the airway). We were actually thrilled with the discovery. She has not been able to drink liquids. All of her fluids have had to be thickened to keep her from aspirating. Until Monday, no one could figure out what was wrong. Monday's procedure found there is a cleft below the voice box in the trachea (air tube) that most likely is causing her aspiration.

We are thankful that Sarah is getting the best care possible. We are hopeful for incredible results from surgery.

If you will, say a prayer for Sarah right now.

Pray for the doctors. Pray for my sister, Carrie, and her husband, John, and my nephew, Matt.

Thank you so much.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying right now...
sharon

Trisha said...

praying for that sweet little girl.

Nowheymama said...

We have friends who went through this, and their daughter is now fine.

Praying.

Carrie said...

She is beautiful and I will be praying for her and her family and doctors - and you too of course :)

It will be easy for me to remember your sister's name - we even spell it the same!

Brandi said...

Praying for Sarah, her doctors, and her family.

He & Me + 3 said...

Praying for Sarah and her family. Also praying that fixing this will fix all the problems.

McCrakensx4 said...

Praying for Sarah and the family! She is such a cutie and I am sure God will have her drinking in no time! Please keep us posted as how she is doing. Take care on this anxious day Jane Anne

Five Moms & A Blog said...

Awwwwww, I'm so glad they found out what the problem was and I'll be praying that all goes well for her! I'll pray for wisdom and accuracy for those doctors.

Our God is an awesome God!

Five Moms & A Blog said...

Oops, forgot to sign my name.... that was me, Erica.

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

I will be praying. A friend of mine from another support forum went through this with her daughter - she is now completely able to drink all liquids with no restriction. I am so happy that they were able to determine why she was aspirating and that they will be able to fix it!!

Foursons said...

What a sweet little girl she is! I pray for the doctors and nurses to have all the knowledge and wisdom they need. I pray for peace and comfort beyond understanding for Sarah, her parents, and her brother. I pray for perfect results from the surgery and for a speedy, painless healing. I pray that this day will soon become a distant memory and that sweet Sarah will be able to drink chocolate milk, slushies, and snow cones very soon!

Carmom said...

Prayers are on the way!!

Jessica said...

I'll be praying too.

Macey said...

Done. Keep us posted, okay?

Missy said...

Praying for Sarah and the family.

jules said...

She is so adorable. Hope the day went well.

Brandi said...

praying

Heather said...

I'll certainly pray~

Beth E. said...

I just saw this post. Praying that your niece's surgery went well, and that she will have a quick recovery.

Please update when you can.

Blessings,
Beth

Carrie said...

I hope everything went well today...will pray for continued progress and quick recovery...she sure is a sweetheart ;)

Rachel said...

Hope it went perfectly today and that God was able to work through the doctors' hands. God Blessg