Thursday, November 13, 2008
Thursday Thanks Tank #62
My heart is so thankful. Modern medicine and the wisdom of doctors is absolutely amazing. I have two kids (and their families) weighing heavy on my mind. They both had to fight for their lives this week. One battle was longed for and anticipated: Mia received a heart transplant. The other battle was unexpected and hard to diagnose: Elizabeth had a nut go “down the wrong tube.” It didn’t totally obstruct her airway but it made her very sick (her lungs filled up with fluid her heart rate slowed- you really have to read her story). I am incredibly thankful for Mia’s successful heart transplant. The miracle of surgery is such a blessing (Read about heart surgery here. It’s amazing! There is a link on the sidebar of my blog to a website for Mia.) Continue to pray for her recovery. I am thankful that the doctors were able to determine what was going on with Elizabeth (Read Elizabeth’s story here). Pray for her and her parents, Carmen (of Carmom) and Matt.
Mia and Elizabeth’s s stories make me so thankful it would be easy to stop there. I want to be thankful for big and small things, so here are some other things that are filling up my Thanks Tank:
1. Company coming: My parents are coming in town this weekend. I am so thankful they can travel across the country and come see us!
2. Imagination: As I write this, two of my boys are marching around the family room (with a light saber and a toy knife). They are about to fight some bad guys. They are saying, "Hi-yi, Captain"! It is so fun to listen to!
3. Clean Kitchen floor: I cleaned my kitchen floor a day or two and it was waaaay overdue. I think the feel of a clean floor is one of the best feelings.
4. David’s preschool: I am thankful for his teacher. She constantly communicates with me about his snacks. His teacher and the preschool director went to an Epipen training yesterday. They were so excited to do that. David is constantly talking about God and about different Bible lessons he is learning at school. I love it!
5. My husband’s service in the Army: Since Veteran’s Day was this week, I spent time thanking God for my hubby and his work in the Army.
6. Teachable moments: I am thankful for those moments when I can teach my kids – and I can tell they are listening! I am also thankful for how I am learning and growing.
7. My home: I am thankful for the comfort of my home. There are days when I feel “stuck” at home but I am learning to soak up the comfort of my home.
8. Becoming more frugal: This is a challenge for me but I have made some progress in this area this week. It is encouraging to wrestle with something and make the right (hard) decision.
9. My Kids’ Artwork: I love seeing my kids create. I have some wonderful pictures from the week (both drawn and painted).
10. My baby girl: She's almost 1!! I cannot believe that.
11. My boys: The 4 of them keep me so busy! Yep, dad included. I cannot imagine life without them. They bring me so much joy.
Well, the boys have turned on each other (not sure who the bad guy is now) so I better get going! Take time to be thankful today. You will be glad you did.