Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Thirsty for More

I'm reading a book called Chazown. It's too early to know if I like the book- or the premise of the book, even. However, the book is making me think about what's important to me. It's making me think about what matters most. Each day is made up of little decisions. Each day is just another day. My whole life is made of up day after day. If I am not cognizant, I will get to the end and I won't be sure if my life mattered.

The book references a prayer by Sir Francis Drake. I looked it up. It's touching. His words stirred up my desires and prompted me to pray. Here is part of the prayer:


"Disturb us, Lord, when
We are too pleased with ourselves,
When our dreams have come true
Because we dreamed too little,
When we arrived safely
Because we sailed too close to the shore.
Disturb us, Lord, when
with the abundance of things we possess
We have lost our thirst
For the waters of life;
Having fallen in love with life,
We have ceased to dream of eternity"

Sir Francis Drake (1577)

I am praying. I am dreaming. I am looking to become unsettled and uncomfortable.

I am thirsty for more.
I want more faith. more passion. and more love for others.

I am thirsty for a growing relationship that never gets stagnant.
I want a vitality that is only possible through total dependence.

I am thirsty for more.

6 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Beautiful post! Definitely don't want to become comfortable..

Anonymous said...

great poem....love it...what a reminder...patti b.

Avery's Mommy said...

What a GREAT poem! Thanks for sharing!

samantha said...

What a nice poem. I just got caught up on your blog. I love the pictures of you and Seth. Congrats on many happy years together!!! I didn't send Lukas to any VBS this summer because of pure fear.

He & Me + 3 said...

What an awesome reminder. So true...we should always want more and to never become comfortable...

Salty Mom said...

Love it a great reminder and definitely something to work toward.