Monday, July 05, 2010

Personality

I've started to write about our 4th of July several times today. It was fantastic. I can't find anything else to say about it. We surrounded ourselves with friends and kids both in the morning and in the evening. We wore ourselves out and we had a blast (yes, yes, a blast) doing it.

Midday, I tried to get the perfect 4th of July picture of my kids. I took lots of pictures. Each and every picture seems to highlight one or several of my kids' personalities.

I have finally decided that the pictures that capture the moment are sometimes better than the most beautiful smiles. Pictures that capture personality often make me smile bigger than pictures with the best smiles.

The whole time I took pictures, the kids wanted to put the flags somewhere: in their shirts, in the ground, or in their mouths.

Me, "No, you can't. I need you all to look at me."
My husband, "NO!"
After a handful of pictures, both sitting and standing, and a growing feeling of impatience radiating from my husband, I gave up.

I let freedom reign.

I captured my kids enjoying freedom to show off their personalities.

Personality. Freedom to Show it. That's what our country is all about.

7 comments:

RLR said...

I think that photo is fantastic! We have several recent photos (from a family shoot a friend of mine did for us) that truly capture M's personality. Mostly eye-rolling and making silly faces while *everyone* else was smiling - but that's my little girl! While I might not hang it on the wall, I *am* keeping it where I can enjoy it daily - and be reminded to enjoy every moment, even the silly ones!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

So cute! It is the perfect picture :)

jules said...

Those are actually my favorite kind of pictures....

Brandi said...

LOVE it! I like the more candid pics as well and not only because it's what I usually end up with. They make me smile more and remember the moment more than the perfectly posed and smiling pics too.

Great shot! Made me smile. :)

Foursons said...

BWAhahhahahaha- perfect.

Missy said...

Hahahaha! I love it! Your family will remember that picture a lot longer then they would the one with the beautiful smiles.

Macey said...

Awww, that is awesome, JA!