Wednesday, May 18, 2011

On the Move


Remember this post: "Moving!!"? That was funny. I caught a few people off-guard with that title.

This time, I am moving.

I am moving from Oregon to Nevada.

My moving thoughts:

-I will be married and live with my husband in Nevada. Oh, I know that's going to be good. (If you've lost track, we've been living apart since August of 2010.)

-I will try not to leave my husband with my kids every weekend. Try. Try. Try. I would never.

-Although I long to live in the South, near family, I realize that it is not the main goal for my family. My husband has been the sole provider for us for many years and I want to support him in his career. He is being promoted and is heading to a position that he is very excited about. (And, ya know, I am pretty darn proud of him.)

-Which will be worse, days and days of rain, or heat and wind? Someone apparently told my 6 year old that it is too hot to walk outside in Nevada. He does not want to go there. He says we won't even be able to walk to the car. Six year olds are very literal.

-How can I prepare for school for my peanut allergy kid when I am not sure where we will be yet? This is weighing on me heavily. We will move in July. I am searching and searching online for good schools. In the meantime, I am praying for peace.

-Nevada is not SEC. Is there a football team in Nevada? Geesh.

-Will my oldest son shed his dedication to the Oregon Ducks once we are in Nevada for a while? Oh, please God, please, please, please.

-What changes will I make? I am thinking about a major hair cut. (Interestingly, my husband loves the idea but my kids don't.) I keep dreaming about a part time job. I will shed the jeans. I will get outdoors more... probably wearing jeans! I will shed the stuff. Local friends: Don't be strangers, I am going to get rid of stuff in the next 2 months.

-It should be entertaining the first few times I fill my car with gas in Nevada. I'll pull up, pick up my phone and start surfing the internet. I wonder how long I will sit there before I realize you are expected to pump your own gas. (Yes, that's right, for those of you that don't know, we are not allowed to pump our own gas in Oregon. It used to annoy me. Now, I love it.)

10 comments:

Seth said...

Mountain West Conference...Air Force Academy, BYU, blah blah blah....

I can't wait to get you guys in Nevada!

Honey said...

The only real problem I see is the whole football thing for both of you! I've said this before, but you remind me so much of me when I was younger..we moved several times and I always just looked at it as an adventure...finally we had to get back to Knoxville because we couldn't stand not having the football!

Salty Mom said...

Its true you don't have football but you do have all the other random sports & conventions coming through. World Championships of Rodeo, MotorCross Qualifiers,Nascar, Gymnastics, Cheer, Consumer Electronics Show, etc. Even though I am not a big fan it was fun to see the race cars arrive, cowboys everywhere etc. Also lets be reasonable its not like Oregon has a professional football team and flights are so cheap you can go watch a real team (:
On the too hot thing- it is too hot for 2 months think of it as your winter- but you'll get used to it like you did the rain.

Foursons said...

I was thinking of you yesterday. I was working up at the high school and a student pulled out a package of nuts to eat in class. But not only did he eat them, but they were thrown (and missed) into classmate's mouths, dropped on the desks and floors, and the wrapper was carelessly tossed on the ground. They just have no idea the harm they can do to another person.

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with your post but I just couldn't get it out of my mind. Congrats on rejoining your hubby, I'm so happy for you!

sharon said...

Amen to thought #1 and #2!!

Lindsay said...

I hope everything goes well with the Nevada school for your peanut allergy child! I think schools are getting better about this, with more and more kids developing allergies, but I also know that it's frustrating to start from scratch and go through all of the conversations you've already had with his/her school in Oregon. Best wishes to you in Nevada!

RLR said...

I am so excited that all of you will be back together! I am hopeful that you will have plenty of 'me time' to make up for what you've been missing ;)
We don't live near family, either (though they are only 3-4 hours away...). I wish we all lived closer, but we have developed our 'family of friends' here - and I know you will, too.
As for school and peanut allergy preparations, I hope you will end up at a school/district where some other parent has already paved the way. Praying for a smooth transition.
Foothball - I have no opinion. We aren't sports people, even though we are right here in the middle of it.
Enjoy all of the changes! I can't wait to hear all about it!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Good luck with the move! I'll keep you in my prayers.

More Than Words said...

Wow!! My in-laws live in Nevada!!!

He & Me + 3 said...

Wow...moving is huge but to be joining your husband has to be more important than the whole move :) Good luck with everything! I will be thinking of you when you send your little nut allergy baby to school. My oldest is switching schools this coming year because she will be in 6th grade. I will be worried about the same things with the nut allergies.