Sunday, May 08, 2011

Unfailing love

I could not stand her.

Everything I did, she did the opposite. We didn't see eye-to-eye on anything.

I tried. I tried to imagine her point of view but I couldn't.

Irrational. Outspoken. Stupid.

I wanted nothing to do with her.

And then, I grew up and became a mom.

I cannot stand the way I thought of her then.

Everything I did, I would cringe to see my daughter do. I imagine not seeing eye-to-eye with my kids and it hurts to remember my own disrespect.

I pray. I pray that I will learn from my relationship with my mom.

Prayerful. Driven. Smart.

I want more than I had with my mom when I was young.

And then, I realize, my mom has not changed.
I changed.
Despite everything- everything I was and I am trying to be, she has always loved me. She did not give up on me. She keeps on loving me day in and day out.

Stunned. I recognize, I want to follow the example of my mom. I will love my kids day in and day out, no matter what they become and no matter how they act.

Thank you, mom, for your unfailing love.

2 comments:

sharon said...

Amazing what a little perspective and maturity will do. It's hard to believe you were ever that way with your mom when I see pictures of her visiting and the hugs and smiles. I'm so glad you have a neat relationship now and that she loved you through your youthful attitudes! Fun that you can share your experience of being a mom with your mom.

Beth E. said...

Such a beautiful post! I went through similar issues with my own mother, and she is such a dear! I agree with Sharon...perspective and maturity are true eye openers!