Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Still Comparing Apples to Oranges


I have trouble not comparing myself to others. I don't know why. It just happens. Before I know it, I am doing it. It is self destructive.

Even worse is when someone else judges me against others... no, I take that back, it is worse when I do it... it is just more frustrating when someone else compares me to another person.

I am who I am for better or worst. I strive to do better. I am constantly working to improve.

I am not meant to have all that others have.

I am not meant to excel in areas that others excel.

I do have talents and God-given abilities. Sometimes that means I am ahead of others in areas.

I have bad luck sometimes. Other times, I am extremely blessed through no merit of my own.

I don't always compare myself and feel like I don't measure up. Sometimes I compare myself and wish I didn't have what I have. I wish I could be someone else or somewhere else. I am often discontent with what I see around me because I want life to be more fair.

It's like the cry of my kids, "That's not fair!"

I long to excel. I also long to be more giving. I want to be content.

This comparison game that I struggle with is frustrating. One day I will wish I had more. A day or so later, I wish I had much, much less.

I want to grow my mental capacity, my emotional stability, my spiritual understanding, my physical healthiness, and my over all happiness.

In my growth, I want to be less.

I want to think less of myself and more of others.

Less of me means less comparing apples to oranges.


So, I fix my eyes on what is unseen. For I know that what is seen is temporary and what is unseen is eternal (2 Corinthians 4:18). I decide to live by faith (2 Corinthians 5:7). I try to remember that I may never be happy with myself. It is okay. I must stop comparing myself and trying to be successful in my own eyes. My faith must continues to grow. I must shift my focus away from myself. I must submit my motives to God. (2 Corinthians 10:18: For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one the Lord commends.")

I want to think less of myself and more of others.

I want to think less of myself and more of God. Without Him, I am all about myself.
When my focus is self-centered, I continue to compare apples to oranges.

8 comments:

Honey said...

You really need to write an inspiration book...this is great...you have such a way with words...thanks you! patti brown

Foursons said...

Have you done Beth Moore's bible study Believing God? If not, I think you'd love it.

jules said...

I think we all struggle with this at some point. I love the way you wrote this...

He & Me + 3 said...

It really is so easy to compare ourselves. Yet we need to just be the person God created us to be...not what we think we should be. You are beautiful Jane Anne and your posts do inspire.
Hugs,
MImi

Brandi said...

Hey, you're a Bama fan. You are SUPER! ;)

If you are around people who compare and judge, it may be helpful to distance yourself from those people. It's just poison. Or... at least recognize that when people do that, they are insecure in themselves and it has nothing to do with you.

Missy said...

I am always comparing apples to oranges. It is the way of the enemy. He knows that it takes our focus off where it should really be.

Thank you for this beautiful and reminding post.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Great post!! I do this all.the.time. And it's always on the negative to myself. It's only self defeating and has no benefit whatsoever. Thanks for the reminder :)

Jen said...

I've had the same thoughts so many times, it's like you wrote this for me. Maybe it's just the human condition to long to improve ourselves. The last paragraph says it all.