Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Frogs at Wal-mart

You know what I am learning this week? I am learning to not discount the perspective of others too quickly.

I don't think of myself as someone that would dismiss the ideas of others. And, yet, I did that this week because I already knew what I thought was best. I asked for input and then didn't take the time to fairly consider the input I got because it wasn't inline with what I was thinking.

Looking back, it seems like a mark of true immaturity.

Looking back, I am thankful that I recognized my mistake.

Sometimes when I am so focused on what I already know to be true, I fail to consider out of the box ideas or situations. I limit myself to what I know.

I don't want to do that. I don't want to be the kind of person that cannot see past the concrete to consider the abstract.

I didn't even contemplate all of this until my daughter showed me the frogs at Wal-mart.

We were hurriedly shopping because my To-Do list is a bit over-run with tasks. She kept saying "Fraa... Fraa!" and pointing up. I figured out she was saying frog. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why she was saying frog when we were headed to the diapers section. She wasn't just saying it, either. She was excited about the frog. It was one of those, 'what has gotten in to my 2 year old?' moments.

And, then I saw the frog face.


Now, I'll see the frog at Wal-mart everytime I visit. Just like that, something that has always been is forever changed for me. In one little trip to Wal-mart, my daughter gave me a vision of frogs and a gift of a new perspective.

11 comments:

Macey said...

Ah! And now I'm gonna see the frogs when I go too!

Foursons said...

Me too! I love the frogs now!

He & Me + 3 said...

what a cutie. I don't usually shop at walmart but you can bet the next time I do I will be looking for the frogs.

Jen said...

I'm there once a week so we'll be frog hunting :) It really pays to slow down and actually try to listen to the things they're trying to tell us, even if we're impatient - I hear so many fascinating things when I take the time.

TheFitHousewife said...

That is so cute! It's wonderful seeing things through our children's eyes, it puts everything in a new, refreshing perspective!

RLR said...

Love this! I will be showing the frogs to my little girl next time we heard to Wal-Mart. Sounds like a great way to work on her counting skills :)

jules said...

Too cute. I will have to check that out next time.

Beth E. said...

Life through a little one's eyes is so refreshing and enlightening. A great lesson! I'm gonna look for the frogs, too. :-)

aerotatt said...

I'll have to check that out the next time i'm there.

samantha said...

I will be searching!! What a great post.

aerotatt said...

We had a laugh looking at the frogs today.