Friday, March 29, 2013

I am not grumpy. I am just confused.

My husband was out of town this week. Last night,  I sent him a text to say that Thing 3 had been suffering from a stomach ache and Thing 4 had diarrhea before dinner and threw up after dinner. My husband texted back that he needed to stay another day.

I lost my  breath.
He was kidding.

Oh- I've taken to calling my kids Thing 1, 2, 3 and 4 this week after Thing 2 donned his Suessical  clothes at school one day. (It was reading week.)


Last night, Thing 2 was the only one of the six of us to get a good night's sleep.

About midnight, Thing 4 threw up in bed. It was the best kind. The puke was all over her bed, sprayed on the wall, and in her hair. None of us enjoyed it.

We cleaned everything up, remade her bed, washed out her hair and comforted her. She went back to sleep sweetly. All was calm for about an hour. She threw up again. Slept again. Threw up again. I am not even sure if she threw up 3 or 4 more times. It is a blur.

Sometime while she was sleeping, Thing 3 ran down the hall in a panic. He woke with a gusher of a bloody nose. My husband wouldn't call it a gusher but since I was wiping blood off the light switch this morning, I'll call it a gusher. Thing 3 did not like having a tissue in his nose at all. Squeezing slightly at the bridge of his nose was irritating. It took a few minutes (a decade) for him to relax and for his nose to stop bleeding.

I wasn't sleeping well because... well, just because. So, I heard every sound. I had my heightened mom ears turned on to listen for the coughing sound of Thing 4.

I popped up out of bed when I heard the heavy footsteps of a child. Thing 1 was walking down the hall wrapped in his bed blanket. He does that every morning, when he has to get up for school. Except that it wasn't morning. My husband asked Thing 1, "What are you doing?" To which he answered, "I don't know." My husband asked, "Do you need to go to the bathroom?" To which he said, "No." My husband said, "Go on back to bed, buddy." And, he did.
Thing 1 is our sleep walker. I don't know if he was sleep walking or if he was just awakened by the chaos and thought it was morning. Either way, he wasn't very coherent and he didn't remember it this morning.

Thing 2 (pictured above) slept soundly.


I tried coffee this morning. It didn't work.
I've now eaten two chocolate chip cookies as a mid morning snack. Delightful.
I still can't shake the fog in my brain.
Dora the Explorer is entertaining me this morning.

I am not grumpy. I am just confused.

I had enough sense to ask my boys this morning to go ahead and get sick. Seriously. We need to get this crap finished before Spring Break, which is one week away.

1 comment:

sharon said...

Oh, sorry for Thing 4 and for you.