Tuesday, May 12, 2009

True Story Tuesday: Nuts

May 10-16 is Food Allergy Awareness Week. Stop by the Food Allergy Awareness Network (FAAN) to learn more. All week I am going to post about my experiences with my son's peanut allergy. Don't let that scare you away. You might laugh a little. You might learn something. You will get to know my experience with my son's peanut allergy a little better.

Today I am participating in the True Story Tuesday meme. I am writing this late on Monday night while devouring a little bag of M&Ms. I bought these as a treat for myself. I have to be sure to get rid of the evidence. My 8 year-old loves M&Ms and my 5 year-old is not allowed to have them. Did you know that plain M&Ms are not safe for someone with a peanut allergy? That's a sad little fact that I wish wasn't true. They are processed on the same equipment as the peanut M&Ms.

On to my story... I thought about sharing about one of our peanut allergy scares. I might do that sometime this week. For now, I want you to know that there are times when my son's allergy makes us laugh. Kids are funny. I love it when they make me laugh about things that cause me stress.

This true story was originally posted on my family blog May of 2008.



I almost hesitated sharing this one. For anyone that doesn't have boys... this is just another day in a house with boys...

Today the boys were talking about getting hit or hitting in the privates. Then, Jonathan explains to David that part of his privates are called nuts. The rest of the conversation goes something like this.

[Jonathan] David HAS nuts! He isn't allergic to his nuts!!

[David] Momma!! Momma!! I have nuts... but not real nuts.

[Jonathan] No, David, they are nuts. They are real nuts. DAAAAAVID-You have nuts inside your body!

[David] I am NOT allergic to my nuts.



For more true stories, head over to Once Upon a Miracle

21 comments:

More Than Words said...

Oh my gosh...that is just hilarious!!!!!!!!!

Jeanne said...

Oh my, that is too good to pass up! Thanks for sharing!!! lol.

Anonymous said...

Being a mother of 3 little boys, I truly got a kick out of this one. How refreshing to read something "food allergy" and be able to laugh!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am sure you have figured out now that I have two seperate blogs, one being strictly food allergy issues. I recently decided to combing the two. It makes for more interesting reading for my family and friends.

It was nice "meeting" you!

Amy

Nowheymama said...

Hee!! Ah, boys.

Rachel said...

That is too stinkin' hilarious! Thanks for the laugh at the start of the day!

(still chuckling)

Thanks for joining in! Nice to "meet" you!

Jenn Casey said...

AWESOMENESS. Reminds me of the day my daughter (who has no food allergies) was playing in her pretend kitchen, making "penis-safe" pretend cupcakes so my peanut-allergic son would be able to eat them. Don't think she's confused about those words anymore, but it was hysterical while it lasted!

momstheword said...

Yes, life with boys can come up with some whoppers! Well, I'm glad he's not allergic to SOME things, lol!

Jessica said...

That is so cute! Sounds like a boy thing...

I didn't know that about the M&Ms... I brought you M&Ms the other day... See, it's good that you're doing this! I know before we came to your house Sasha had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I made her change her clothes and wash up REALLY good. I told her about David and that eating something with peanuts or touching someone that had peanuts on them (pointing to her dirty hand) could really hurt him or even kill him. We talked about it for a bit and then went on with our day. Yesterday she was babying her brother's spiderman. When I asked what was wrong she said, "he ate a peanut mommy, he's really sick and has to go to the doctor".

Trisha said...

Love it!!

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Is that what I have to look forward too? How cute. I love that you are sharing all of this.

Have you ever tried the Vermont Nut Free Skippers. They are like M&M's, my kids love them. Fortunately Grandma buys them, cause I think they are a bit pricey. But we use them as special treats.

Susan Weissman said...

That may be the funniest allergy story I've ever read. As the other of a nut allergic boy you just made me realize we really need to share as many of those stories as the scary ones.

Jenny said...

Love it! I've often wondered about the name of my blog: Nut-Free Mom. It certainly wouldn't sound as good to call it The Nut-Free Dad Blog for the reasons indicated by your boys!

BTW, I have a little M&M addiction and bless her heart my PA daughter doesn't mind--as long as I've got plenty of Vermont Nut-Free Chocolate in stock for her. :)

He & Me + 3 said...

OK...all boys are the exact same. Doesn't matter which part of the world you come from or how old they get...they are all facsinated with their privates. LOL
Too funny.

sarah said...

That is too funny! Boys will be boys!

Pam D said...

Yeah, if it's a body part below the waist, there's humor in there somewhere for boys. I knew about the M&Ms, and I am forever grateful to God that my boy doesn't have a nut allergy! Life would be bleak without my M&Ms..(but I'm sure you find plenty of ways to compensate..!)

Carrie said...

Oh, LOL! Why do kids love to make jokes about body parts and bodily functions? ha ha! I've heard my share of poop and butt...and tell them how inappropriate that is...and then secrectly laugh about it!

Also, my brother-in-law is allergic to poultry, so I know how hard that can be sometimes. When we invite them to our house for food, I have to make sure nothing has chicken in it, or that none of the food has touched any chicken.

Thanks for the info on allergies :)

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

As soon as you said nuts and boys...I knew where this story was going! Too funny!

I've got to believe that M&M's are going to get a nut-free factory soon, right? Too crazy that they haven't already...

Martin Jones said...

As the father of two disabled grown ups I found these funny stories are so important to keep up leveled. I loved the story, I grew up with three sisters so I have a different take on siblings
interaction.

ღJessicaღ said...

Oh No!! LOL. That is too funny!!

melinda said...

That ditty is hilarious. I know very well "boy speak" and its quite a shocker sometimes!! lol

i appreciate the food allergy link. My daughter has had a few reactions to food, but don't know what it is from--so the more info the better!!

thank you for stopping by mamabear!

Carmom said...

JA- I loved this story the first time you had it on your blog and I can't help but laugh at it again. I really wish that Gabe had a brother to share such conversations with. I love it!