Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday Food: Divine Desserts

My son graduated from Preschool this week. Parents had to sign up beforehand to bring food for the reception. I signed up to bring one dessert and one plate of cookies/brownies. I decided to bring extra so that David could have more treats to enjoy. Because of his peanut allergy, I couldn't let him eat other desserts (with unknown ingredients). When he had his Christmas program, I brought a plate of his favorite cookies. He was thrilled until we got to the reception and saw all of the other kids getting lots of goodies. He said it "wasn't fair" that he didn't get as much dessert. This time, I wanted to give him every opportunity to celebrate without feeling like he had less. I tried out two new recipes. I rarely bring a dish somewhere the first time I try a recipe. The two new recipes were too good not to share.

Here's the spread.

Snickeroos, Chocolate Chip cookies, and Oreos

S'more Snack Cake


Out of all of that, I came home with 1 piece of cake left. It was all a hit!

Snickeroos
This recipe is from Food Allergy Mama
(Dairy, Egg, and Nut Free)
Yields: About 36 squares

1 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup granulated sugar
1 (15-ounce) container creamy soy nut butter (I substituted Sunbutter)
6 cups crisped rice cereal
2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips

Spray a 13×9×2-inch baking pan generously with dairy-free baking spray. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, simmer syrup and sugar together until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in soy nut butter until thoroughly mixed. In a large bowl, combine cereal and soy nut butter mixture, and press into prepared baking dish using a rubber spatula.

Place chocolate chips into microwavable dish, and heat on high 45 to 60 seconds, or until melted. Using an offset spatula, spread melted chocolate over the cereal mixture. Let mixture cool completely at room temperature, and cut into small 1-inch squares.

S'more Snack Cake

1 cup all purpose flour (I substituted cake flour - use 1 cup + 2 tablespoons)
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used regular size Guittard Chocolate chips)
1 (7 oz) jar (1 1/2 cups) marshmallow creme

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 13x9-inch pan. In medium bowl, combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Set aside.
In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening and eggs until well blended. Add dry ingredients and milk; mix at low speed until well blended. Beat at medium speed 1 minute. Stir in 2/3 cup of the chocolate chips. Spread batter evenly in greased and floured pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 to 35 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt remaining 1/3 cup chocolate chips in small saucepan over low heat. Spoon teaspoonfuls of marshmallows creme onto top of warm cake; carefully spread with knife dipped in hot water. Drizzle with melted chocolate and swirl chocolate through marshmallow creme to marble. (Don't refer to my picture for this! I didn't take time to marble. I mean, I didn't have a clue how to make it pretty.) Cool Completely.

Let me know if you want my chocolate chip recipe. In my opinion, it is the best one around.

David did a great job at his graduation ceremony.

For the reception, I put David's desserts in a Tupperware container and hid it in the kitchen during the program. When we got to the reception, I got out his goodies. He had more than he could eat.

Here's David and his proud Momma.

14 comments:

RLR said...

Jane Anne - I'll have to wait until after lunch to do anything other than skim this post - I'm starving! But, please pass along the chocolate chip cookie recipe. Every recipe I've ever tried is a total failure. We still eat them, but just can't share them. Is that a bad thing?!?
We will definitely try these recipes - dark corn syrup is now on my shopping list!

Carmom said...

Yummy! Both of those sound so good. I will have to try them sometime soon. You and David look so happy and proud. I am glad he had such a wonderful year.

He & Me + 3 said...

What awesome looking desserts. YUM
You are so sweet to think and bring him something safe so he is not left out.
Cute picture of you two.

McCrakensx4 said...

Oh so yummy. I am writing those down and they will be tried! I love s'mores so I can't wait to try that cake! :) Great pic of mom and son; both looking so proud!!

Unknown said...

Those desserts look great! Congratulations to David on his preschool graduation!! Yay for him!!

Esther said...

Oh my, I don't know where to start, but I'm marking your site for when the sugar cookies settle :)

Beth E. said...

You are such a great mom! How sweet of you to provide those treats for David!

It all looks wonderfully delicious...I'm drooling all over my keyboard! LOL

Carrie said...

MMMMMM....delicious! I love chocolate cookies, and those do look good! Great call on leaving some dessert for David, those treats would go fast!

Super cute picture...look at those proud smiles!

Jessica said...

What fun!!! Those look so good that I will have to try them!!

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

He is just too cute. So glad you liked the recipes. I am definitely going to try more from food allergy mama, I really liked those.

Jeanne said...

Oh, those snickeroos look delish! I may have to try them! I saw them on her blog a few weeks back, and thought they looked good then! Congrats to the big boy on graduation!

Hoosier Homemade said...

All the desserts look so yummy! Especially the cake, I'll have to add that to my list! The picture of you and your son is adorable!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and checking out the Black Forest Cupcakes!
~Liz

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

I have the biggest sweet tooth so looking at those pics and reading the ingredient list is making me salivate.

You are such a thoughtful mama...sounds like he had a great time. And I love the photo of the two of you!

samantha said...

what a great pic! I hope you enjoyed this special day.