Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Starbucks Moment

Have you ever noticed someone else’s private moment and it touched you? That was the case for me this morning. The people I saw I had just met last Friday at the park. I met a man who was retired from the Army and was here visiting his daughter and grandchildren. He came to the park with his 3 grandchildren (2 boys and a girl). All 4 rode on their bikes to the park. I enjoyed talking to him and he seemed like a very kind man. This morning as I was pulling through the Starbucks drive-thru, I saw the same grandpa sitting inside at a table with his granddaughter (who might be about 7 years old). They were so cute. They were just chatting away and it was easy to tell the girl felt very special. They must of just sat down because after just a moment, they bowed their heads and prayed. After their prayer, they just looked up at each other and smiled. It was so heart-warming. It was a picture of love. I could tell that the grandpa is special to his grandchildren. My witness to their Starbucks date made me think about how with the simplest of actions or words, we can be a bright spot in someone else’s day. What a blessing! The whole encounter prompted me to be more encouraging to my kids today. And, even more thought-provoking, perhaps, is that the dear man had no idea that he made a difference in my day and in doing so, he made a difference in my kids’ day.
We all notice other people while we go about our day. We just don't know who is noticing us.

No comments: