Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday Words: Action



"At a certain point, I just felt, you know, God is not looking for alms, 
God is looking for action." ~ Bono

I read this quote this week on Pinterest. I read it, liked it and then re-pinned it. After that, it has just hung in my mind like a steeping tea bag. 

Over the holidays, one day I was walking out of a grocery store where a family of 3 were standing. The mom held an infant. They were asking passersby for money for gas to get to another town. At first I thought I had nothing to give and I started to say as much. Then, I remembered that I had cash in my pocket. 

The experience left me befuddled. Did I feel good about giving them money. Yes. And, no. They were still asking for money when I left. Did they need money for gas? It's hard to know. Impossible for me to know. Could I have given more? Yes, but I didn't. Did I feel sad.  Yes. It was snowing, albeit just slightly. I wished that baby could have been warmer. Could I imagine the state they were in? Yes, but mostly, no. I've thought about the family many times since then. I offer up prayers for them. 

I have no idea how I could have helped them in any other way. In that moment, that was really all I could do. I was between towns, myself, on a trip. And, even if I hadn't of been, I gave them what they wanted and I probably would have left it at that. I don't know if that is good or bad.

What I know is this- I can give more to others. I can give of myself. I gave give of my resources. I can share what I have that is mine- not my leftovers, my I-can-donate-this, we-don't-need-this, and this is too small items. I can do extra for those that I love and for those that I hardly know. I can do for others in big and small ways. I just have to be more aware.

These words from Bono prompt me to do more for others.

1 comment:

Foursons said...

I had a woman approach me in a grocery store parking lot asking for money. I didn't have any cash and I told her about all the resources I could think of to go get food for her kids. (She had a sob story.) I admit, I was very wary of her and whether she was being honest with me. I judged her based on her looks (she looked like a drug user) and I didn't want to give her money to go buy more. But is that my judgement to make? Still don't know if I would have done anything differently.