Monday, October 03, 2011

Ta Ta for Now, Hello Real World

The problem with the internet is that is allows you to interface with others in an impersonal way.

I'm over it. It's exhausting me.

I am tired of interacting without really interacting.

I've been a bit frustrated by Facebook lately. The changes haven't irritate me. Instead it's been my own tendency to keep up with others through the medium. I am always lamenting that I am terrible at keeping up with friends. Maybe if I didn't spend time keeping up with them through a social network, I would reach out to them personally.

I've been wondering about that for a while.

Then, today I received a heart-felt email from a friend. While the friend gave the email considerable thought and probably prayer, it pushed me over the edge. The email was meant to start a conversation - I think. It was sent to multiple people. While I'd love to have a conversation, I'm not sure quite how to respond. Reply to all?


I'd love to share my heart... but how can expound on my thoughts? I can work to express my feelings. But something will be lost within the strokes of my keyboard. Any emotion- pain, concern, frustration, elation and expressions of love- will be lost. They might even end up hidden. It's the same if I write a letter, I think.


For effective communication, the person receiving a message has to understand the intent of the sender. Is it possible to fully understand another person through Facebook or email? Possibly not.

I not am sure how to end this except to say that I am stepping away from Facebook and it seems I have a phone call to make.

Beyond that, I'd like to encourage you to reach out to others without using an internet connection.

6 comments:

RLR said...

Jane Anne - I have found myself less and less interested in social media lately (the Facebook change was a big help), and pleased that my email inbox is not as full as it used to be. We went camping last weekend - and I can't tell you how wonderful it was to talk with our friends and let our kids play and climb trees and... all of that outdoor stuff. I'm just back to blogs after a few days, too - and it's interesting to see your thoughts here.
Enjoy your hiatus - for however long it lasts. Even more - enjoy that phone call :)

More Than Words said...

I've always said that FB is like being able to "keep in touch" with people w/out actually having to see or talk to them. lol

Foursons said...

I so hear ya on this one. Texting is a big one too. I really need to TALK to people again.

sharon said...

Jusst don't give up your blog. I love it and even though it's not face to face, it does make me feel connected to you and your family! FB is a big time waster I think, but I enjoy reading a few people's posts. Mostly the ones from people who are too far away to have any face to face interaction.

Jamie K said...

i just noticed that you were not on facebook anymore I was just checking to see what you were up to. However, I did make a phone call to you so hopefully I will get one back soon lol :) Take care of yourself.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Good for you!! I'm so disillusioned with social media. I feel like it's all a time suck and takes me away from real life. I only stay plugged in so I can stay current on "food allergy" info. If it wasn't for that, I'd chuck it all.