Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thursday Thanks Tank #167


Each Thursday I try to make a list of my thankful thoughts. Sometimes I jot it down on paper, sometimes I share that list here, and other times I just highlight one or two things that I am thankful for. This is my Thursday Thanks Tank.


Today was my favorite kind of Thursday because I spent the day thinking off and on about all of the things that I appreciate. Some weeks I simply sit down and make a list. But at other times, like today, I consider thankfulness all day long.

Here is a sampling of what I am thankful for:

1. Being able to be home with my kids. I'll admit that being a stay-at-home mom doesn't come easy to me. That said, I both struggle with the occupation and love it. I appreciate that my husband supports me being at home. I am thankful for his job and his constant encouragement and appreciation. I am thankful that I am home with my kids.

2. Sweet treats. I made chocolate covered pretzels for an afternoon snack today. I love the salty-sweet combo. I made a cranberry apple crisp for dessert the other night. I'm still thinking about that one. So tasty!

3. My hands-free ear piece for my phone. I am happy to say that I finally found an ear piece that is comfortable for me.

4. Sidewalk chalk drawings on my sidewalks and patio.

5. Catching up with friends.

6. My dad. His birthday was Tuesday. His is a great man. He perseveres. He loves. He encourages. I am a better person because of him.

7. My mother-in-law. Her birthday was today. She is a fun mom. She loves. She is easy to talk to. She enjoys life. I hope I will be like her when I am her age.

8. Accomplishments. Last weekend was ultra-productive at our house. We are still trying to get settled in our new place. (You'd think I'd be a pro at unpacking and setting up home after 8 moves but I'm not.)

9. My niece, Sarah. I am thankful for her because she is a sweet girl. But, also (wow, I regret not updating many of you that have prayed so fervently), I am incredibly thankful that after the last surgery she has not been experiencing pain. She has even been released from some of her specialized doctors and really doing amazingly well. Sarah's birthday was Monday. I am thankful for her healing.

10. Soccer. Our soccer season is coming to a close. My oldest had his last game on Wednesday night. The other 2 boys have their last game on Saturday. The season has been fun. I am thankful for the exercise (read that as- a way for them to burn-off energy), the team building, and the friendships the soccer season brought.

11. Fall. Here's a few of my favorite Fall things this week: Pumpkin spice lattes, leaves, pumpkins, costumes, cool breezes and warm dinners. I am enjoying the change of the season.

It's been a great week. I am happy and thankful for many things- big and small.

I encourage you to take time to be thankful. You will be better of for it. It's especially beneficial to write your thankful thoughts down. Check out this research - three studies that show a consistent theme: take the time to write down the things you are thankful for on a regular basis and you can improve your level of happiness: "What's an easy way to be much happier?"



1 comment:

sharon said...

Great post! Reading your thankful list each week makes me happy and more thankful. We have a lot of similarities - stay at home mom, soccer season, a love of the sweet and salty combo. I like seeing these things from your perspective. Have you seen the video on A Holy Experience called The Thanksgiving Chair? A must see on being thankful all day in all circumstances.