Monday, April 11, 2011

Pause Game!

I passed by, then slowed, turned into a gas station parking lot and turned around.
I had somewhere to go but I had time to stop.
It wasn't planned.
I made a u-turn and found a moment that I desperately needed.

I stopped for the flowers.

I could have kept going. I drive by weekly. Today, I stopped.

I thought I stopped for the flowers. It was really for an unhurried moment. I walked away with flowers but held a moment in my memory I won't soon forget.

We got out of the car and walked through the U-pick flower beds, enjoying the sunshine and breeze. My daughter picked a flower and laughed. She said it smelled like popcorn...because popcorn is yellow, too.



We held hands. I picked her up and spun her around. The sun was bright. We soaked up each other's love.

It was a moment. I need more moments like that.

I do not want throw my energy away in haste, with little to show for my efforts. I do not want to let myself sink under the weight of the worries of each day.

I must make time for the moments that matter.

~ I often listen in as my kids are playing and invariably I will hear one of them say, "Pause game! Pause game!" It is usually when the person calling for a pause wants to make a change in what they are playing (or, sometimes, they simply need to go to the bathroom). I was reminded today that I need "Pause game!" moments. ~

Matthew 6:27-29
27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.

3 comments:

sharon said...

So glad you had the sunshine, flowers and your beautiful little girl. What a wonderfully precious moment!

Leslie said...

How enriched would all our lives be if we could talk ourselves into "pausing" more often - especially if the pausing included great things like a beautiful, sweet child and gorgeous flowers?!? Good for you and thanks for the reminder.

Pam said...

One of my absolute favorite posts of yours, Jane Anne. So well-written and such a good lesson for me as well. Thank you!