Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

I made Chicken Enchilada's last week. Right when we sat down at the table to eat, my husband said, "Only one thing, you made these all wrong."

The enchilada's aren't hard but they do take a little time to prepare. I was stunned. Perplexed, I looked up from my plate at my husband.

And then he said, "Next time, double the recipe so that we can have leftovers and I can take some to work for lunch."



Chicken Enchiladas

8 6 inch tortillas
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 8 ounce carton sour cream
2 cups chicken broth
1 or 2 canned jalapeno chili peppers, rinsed, seeded and chopped; or one 4 ounce can diced green chili peppers, drained
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
Sliced pitted ripe olives (optional)
Chopped tomatoes (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)

Wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes or till softened [I didn't do this step. I think this would be more necessary with corn tortillas. We tried the recipe with corn tortillas once and we didn't like it as much.]

For sauce, in a saucepan cook onion, garlic, coriander, and pepper in margarine or butter till onion is tender. Stir in flour into sour cream; add to onion mixture. Stir in broth and chili peppers all at once. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.

For filling, stir 1/2 cups of the sauce into chicken.


Place about 1/4 cup filling atop each tortilla; roll up.


Arrange rolls, seam side down, in a lightly greased 13 by 9 baking dish.


Top with remaining sauce.


Bake, covered, in at 350 degree oven about 35 minutes or till heated through.

Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or till cheese melts. If desired, sprinkle with olives, tomatoes, and green onions. Let stand 10 minutes. *Makes 4 servings.

*I did not realize that it made 4 servings. Luckily, we also had side salads, and refried beans and tortilla chips with dinner.


It wasn't all that long ago that my kids turned up their noses at this dish because they could see green stuff in it. We would make them try it and then make cheese quesadillas for them. Now, we had to divide up the portions. Everyone loved it. I will double it next time!



Check out other wonderful recipes at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.

4 comments:

McCrakensx4 said...

Is it wrong that I am now craving your chix enchas at 8:55 in the morning...3 words...OH MY YUMMINESS! They look mouth watering!

Beth E. said...

Those look delicious...I'm copying the recipe! Thanks for sharing it...

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing when your kids start to like grown up foo!! It's also a bad thing, though, because there is less food for the grown ups to eat and it is more expensive to feed them when you eat out. The recipe looks delicious!
sharon

Carmom said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I am looking forward to making it. That would've been something that Matt would say to me.