Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Favorite: Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes

This week we celebrated my husband's birthday. My husband loves bacon.

My son taped this sign on the door to greet my husband when he came home from work.


We celebrated by trying out bacon recipes. Let me say it again, my husband loves bacon.

We had bacon and eggs for breakfast. Chocolate covered bacon in the afternoon. For dinner, we had chicken thighs wrapped in bacon, sweet potatoes bites wrapped in bacon (and fresh corn) and a maple bacon cake for dessert.

My husband is still snacking on the chocolate covered bacon. I probably won't eat bacon for weeks. 

We were delighted with sweet potatoes bites. Such a savory vegetable recipe! The bacon adds a nice flavor to the sweet goodness of the potatoes.




Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes

2 medium-small sweet potatoes
1 lb bacon
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (I used regular chili powder)
1 Tbsp sea salt (I didn't have sea salt so I used one tsp salt)
4 Tbsp maple syrup (optional - but I recommend it)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them lengthwise into quarters. Then cut each quarter in half, and then half again. You'll wind up with about 32 bites.

Melt butter over low-heat an stir in chili powder and salt. Toss the potatoes in the spiced melted butter to coat.

Cut the bacon slices in half, so you have 32 mini slices of bacon. Wrap each sweet potatoes bite with a half slice of bacon. Use a toothpick to hold the bacon in place.



Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, turning once halfway through. They are done when the bacon is crispy and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.

Remove from heat and drizzle with maple syrup.

Let cool before serving.


I am linking up today with Food on Fridays. Be sure to stop by and check out more food related posts.






3 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Those Look Yummy!!! Everything's better with bacon :) We're going to have to try these for sure.

Foursons said...

What a yummy birthday! I love the sign on the door- it is PERFECT. The menu sounds delicious and I may have to head to the store tomorrow to get sweet potatoes and bacon. Yum!

samantha said...

I'm going to try sweet potatos with bacon. YUMMO.