Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Works-for-Me-Wednesday: Dinner Responsibility Chart


After years of inconsistency with dinner chores (read that as, mom did most of the work), I created a simple, effective Dinner Responsibility Chart.

I made a list of dinner responsibilities, printed it, and put it in a frame. I use a dry erase marker to write my kids' names next to their responsibility. The kids rotate through the four main responsibilities, while the blessing is rotated through the whole family.

I am amazed how much the kids enjoy their jobs. As each one is doing a job, we work with them to teach them the right way to do it. We've been doing this for almost two weeks now and I am thrilled with their progress and enthusiasm.

Before when I asked for help, I was often met with grumbles and complaints. Now, the kids expect to help.

It's a simple system that is benefiting the whole family. The kids are learning and growing in responsibility and I no longer wait to clean the kitchen until they are in bed.

Most wonderful of all, I no longer clean the kitchen by myself. That really works for me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is linked up with Works-For-Me Wednesday. Be sure to visit We are THAT Family to check out the other WFMW posts.

4 comments:

sharon said...

Love it!!!

AJ said...

Awesome! Can I do this with Greg too? :)

Missy said...

Great Set-up!
We did something similar as well and it has definitely helped with the dinner time rush.

Jeanne said...

Such a great idea to get the little ones involved!