Monday, March 19, 2007

"I love you, too, Honey."

I am so thankful that I was able to visit my grandmother 3 weeks ago. She passed away this morning. She suffered from Alzheimer’s, which ultimately took her life. She lived a long beautiful life, living to the age of 89. She had this sweet spirit. As long as I can remember, I loved hearing her voice because of the kindness in her voice. A few weeks ago, I decided to travel to Tennessee to visit her. I had been told her death was imminent. As it turned out, by the time I got there, she was having some good days. I had precious moments with her. Some of the time, she even recognized me and called me by name. I was able to tell her I loved her numerous times in the 3 days I visited with her. When she could respond, she always told me she loved me, too. Several times, including before I left, she said, “I love you, too, honey.” I can still hear her saying that to me and it warms my heart.
I was already spending time this week thinking about life and how the days are precious. A friend, Milo, passed away last week and I attended his service on Saturday. Though I didn’t know him well, he touched my life. I never saw him when he wasn’t smiling. He had a servant’s heart. Without knowing specifics, you just knew he was the kind of man that did everything he could for other people. He was retired. He served, with his wife, loving the kids in our MOPS (mother’s of preschoolers) program. His memorial service was enjoyable. That seems strange, perhaps. We shed tears but we also celebrated a life lived fully and full of God’s love.
This morning as I sat grieving and thinking about how various family members were handling my grandmother’s loss. I prayed. I was then reminded of a song that my friend, Rebecca (Milo’s daughter-in-law) sang at his memorial service. I sang it just quietly out loud to myself. “Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus. Look Full in His Wonderful Face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His Glory and Grace.”
What a blessing to think that my grandmother, Anne, and Milo are looking at the fullness of Christ’s glory and grace. I cannot imagine the splendor. I do not know if my granddaddy greeted my grandmother. I have images of their sweet reunion and a beautiful praise service. I cannot grasp or imagine what heaven could be like. I do know that they are happy.
I will miss my grandmother. In so many ways she has been gone for a while now. I am comforted to know she is now happy. The happiness in heaven has to be beyond our greatest joy here on earth.
I keep thinking about heaven today. I keep thinking about living a full life that is composed of love for others. These lives have blessed me. I will live and love more because of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to thank you for your comment on my post yesterday at Rocks in My Dryer.

I'm so sorry about your grandmother. You're right - she's in Christ's presence now. Alzheimer's was just a fire she went through to get there.

For those of us still going through the fire, thank you so much for adding the widget to your sidebar! Creating awareness is a powerful thing to do!

Lovely post!