Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Far, A long long way to run

"Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try."

After I ran a half marathon in October, I wondered, could I do it? Could I run a marathon? So, I decided to try.

For the half marathon, I ran varying distances each week, depending on how I felt. About 5 days before the half marathon, I ran 13 miles to see if I could accomplish it. I ran the half marathon without problems. But, I was aware that I was pretty fortunate. I had no idea what I needed to do to train. I just ran and then ran some more. When I decided that I wanted to work toward a marathon, I decided to join a running club with a marathon training program.

I am in week 10 of a 16 week marathon training program.
The amazing part? I'm loving it. I'm under no illusions that it will be easy. It is going to be one of the most difficult things I've done. However, I'm loving getting ready for it. Even when I am exhausted after a run or after a few days of running, I am still looking forward to the next run. Each run leaves me with a myriad of feelings. Inspired. Accomplished. Strong.  Tired. Sore. Determined.

Each Saturday, I run a longer run on trails. This past Saturday, I ran 14 miles. I felt fantastic afterwards. I also went home and took a nice long nap.

I've never attempted to take pictures during a run before. I took a few pictures on Saturday.

The sun was just coming up, as I was doing a little warm up in my neighborhood.


Steamboat Ditch Trail

Shadow shot

Nevada landscape

Snow capped mountains on the horizon


The city off in the distance


4 comments:

Lorinda said...

Yay--so exciting! I had a feeling this announcement was coming :) I still can't say that I really love running, but I absolutely love the feeling of accomplishment throughout the training process! And with your attitude, race day will be so much fun for you--can't wait to hear about it!

birdie said...

just great!

Husband said...

Congrats on your dedication. I am extremely proud of you!

Cathy said...

Wow! Way to go! You are inspiring! What marathon are you going to run?